"I'm Sorry"

Days had passed since Steve had woken up naked and alone on his jacket in the lot of the old drive in. Each day that passed Billy and Steve made awkward eye contact while passing through the halls. Billy didn't shower after gym anymore. Steve cringed at the thought, as it made his guts churn.

Not a word had been spoken between the two of them since that night, it was just a long, pregnant pause in whatever was developing between the two of them.

It was Saturday, no school, Steve thought this as he stared out the window, his parents pulling away yet again for another 'trip' without him. He rolled his eyes and yanked the curtains shut as they waved to him, pretending to care. He had no plans for the day. The house was a wreck. He sighed heavily and pulled out the vacuum.

Steve mopped the hardwood floors, vacuumed the shag carpets, dusted the hearth, made the beds in all the bedrooms, and washed all the dishes. All that was left now was laundry and then, he could get wasted for the night. Steve hummed a freestyle tune to himself as he pulled clothes out of the hamper and began putting them in the washer, his coat being the last item. He shook out the coat making sure there was no debris within it, and as he did this a slip of paper flew out, and floated to the floor at his feet.

With a puzzled look on his face, Steve started the washer, picked up the note and read it as he exited his washroom.

I'm sorry.
Please call me.
###-###-####
-Billy

Slapping his forehead in frustration, Steve went to his room and got dressed. Should he call Billy? Should he go to his house? Which would be weirder? If he called, he could bail out of the conversation at any moment with one button, if he went to Billy's house he could see Billy's expressions to see if he was saying the wrong things! Steve sucked it up and got into his car, driving to Billy's house. He just hoped he was making the right decision.

Pulling up to Billy's house, Steve looked for another car besides the blue beauty, but he saw no other, he hoped that meant Neil was somewhere else. He didn't know how long he sat in the BMW, giving himself a pep talk, trying to work up the courage to go knock on the door. He was startled from his mumbling to a rapid knock on his window, Max looking at him puzzled. Steve cranked down his window.

"What are you doing here? I thought Hopper was picking me up?" Max said, confused.

Steve scratched his head. "What? Im just- wait what are you talking about?"

"I'm going to hang with Eleven, Hopper said he was coming to pick me up. So if you aren't here to pick me up, then why are you here?"

"Oh, cool cool...I was just wondering if Billywashomebychance?" Steve spit out the sentence in a rush.

Max looked suspiciously at Steve, then to the camaro, and then back to steve. "Yea. Hes inside."

"Ok thanks, have fun!" Steve laughed nervously, opening the door and bumping Max back with it as he strolled to the door. Sighing, he knocked one, twice, three times. He waited a moment, went to knock again as the door flew open, Steve almost knocking on Billy's forehead.

Billy caught him by the wrist, and Steve swore he felt all color left his face. He gulped.

"Harrington? What are you doing here?"

"I uh- I...Can I just come inside for a bit?" He was shaking, he could feel it.

Billy could hear it, he nodded, stepping aside and letting Steve in.

Max had already left.

"So tell me exactly why you're he-"

Bill was cut off by Steve's lips smashing into his, it was too intense for such a lack of miscommunication, Billy shoved him away.

"Woah woah! Chill out Harrington what the hell?!"

Steve's eyes were huge. "Oh my god I'm so sorry. That was a lot, I just thought- I don't know why I- holy shit.." He plopped down onto the couch, face in his hands.

"Just...slow down, talk to me. Why haven't you called me?" Billy pulled up an automin and sat facing Steve. This conversation was happening.

"I didn't find your note until today!" Steve had tears on his cheeks now, he was embarrassed.

"What?"

"I thought you got freaked out from us having- yea, and I didnt think you wanted to talk to me after that and now I found the note and I'm just really confused, and I feel like an ass, and I don't know how you feel about it and-" Billy clasped a hand over Steve's mouth. Steve was starting to choke up and talk too fast. He needed to de escalate.

"Okay Steve. Just calm down. I'm gonna lay it out for you." He paused.
"I had to get home before Neil caught me not home in the morning, I wasn't freaked out." He removed his hand from Steve's mouth.
"I'm not great with words, but I do know that I like you, even though I'm not entirely sure I know what that means myself," He placed his hand on top on Steve's knee.
"And I don't regret anything that we did...I hope you don't either."

He stared at Steve for a moment, searching his eyes for some sort of reaction.

"I don't regret it either." Steve replied, wiping his arm across his nose, laughing a bit, eyes pink and puffy from tears.

Billy smiled a soft, toothy smile. "Okay."

"Okay." Steve smiled shyly, placing his hand on Billy's which was still on his knee.

They just stared at each other for a few moments, before Billy stood up quickly.

"Do you uh- want something to drink? Because I can go.." Billy awkwardly gestured at the kitchen, a light blush laying across his face.

"Water, please." Steve answered abruptly, forcing a normal smile as Billy nodded and shuffled in the next room.

They ended up spending hours just talking. They talked about anything and everything, and Steve was finding out that Billy was a pretty normal guy, whom of which they shared some stuff in common. They had serious conversations about life, emotions...and had conversations about db stuff that had them dying of laughter. It didn't really matter what they were talking about, they were just enjoying one another's company.

Two movies and a couple social beers later it was 8 pm, the sky outside was dark and dusted with flickering stars. A relaxing night. Steve held Billy's hand, his arms laid around Steve's shoulders in a comforting embrace. He was asleep, head tilted to the side snoring lightly. It was sweet, at least that what Steve thought. He decided to gently nestle into the crook of Billy's chest, the other boy's heartbeat load in his left ear, and allowed the sound to lull him into another, amazing sleep.