prologue

Killian

"I think we can all agree on the fact that Julia was our light. She made me believe in the impossible, and I thought love was impossible."

I chuckled in reminiscent thought.
"I don't what to do without her," I said honestly, my voice starting to crack. "I miss her so much." And with that I left the podium to start the burial, glancing at the weeping crowd in front.

Those dreadful memories suddenly came pouring back:

1 Month Ago:

"H-how?" My eyes shook in surprise, all moisture leaving my throat.

I try to break free from the chains, wincing as I feel the metal digging into my arms.

She chuckled, "When you're so disgustingly in love, you become obsessed with your lover."

She slowly picks up her phone and analyzes it.

"You see through them," her fingers blaze over the screen, "you see everything."

She turns the phone around to reveal Julia, beaten and bruised, as she attempts to scream through a scarf that silences her.

"No, no, no, no," I snatch the phone to take a closer look, realizing that it's live.

"I tell you not to lie me, and this is what you do?" She snarls as her hand makes contact with my cheek, her nails scratching my skin in the process.

"I don't give a single fuck about you. It was all a lie. In the end, you're gonna be locked up, so you don't need to worry about me." I spat, smirking as I take another look at Julia.

Her face falls as she growls before bringing the phone to her ear.

"Kill her." That was enough to make me jump up and start running to her.

The chains restrict me as I try to attack her with whatever strength I have left.

She laughs as she kicks me back, sending me to the ground.

I groan in pain as she just laughs, enjoying it.

"Listen. If you don't kill her, you can walk out of here and run away, free of charges. Like nothing ever happened." I offered, swallowing my pride.

This made her burst into a fit of laughter.

"Honey, you're not even my first victim. There were hundreds before you. What makes you any different?"

I grunted in annoyance.

What the fuck can I do?

Turning my head, I see that my pager is in my reach.

I slowly crawl to it while she is distracted, and press the button with my chin.

"Anyone listening, I am at 289 Scorpio road; a blue warehouse. Come with back up, qui-"

Before I can finish my message, the pager is kicked into the distance.

I look up to find the bitch glaring at me.

"Don't you dare." She warns.

I smirk, "Too late. They're coming and you can't do any-"

I'm cut off by a gunshot.

No.

"It has been done." She states, her mouth crookedly hanging on her face in satisfaction.

"You will pay." I screamed as I got up, dismissing the metal grinding into my skin.

Before I could get to her, she suddenly collapses in front of me with a thud, revealing my partner, Roger, a gun in his hand.

It's over.

I ran up to the phone, almost dropping it as soon as I pick it up.

There she was, laying on the ground, surrounded by blood as her eyes and mouth are stretched open in shock.

My whole body starts to shake furiously as I caress the phone in a foolish attempt to wake her, and possibly even me, up from this nightmare.

"Julia, no. Come back. You can't. Please. I love you." I scream as I feel myself let go.

I collapse onto the floor, pulling my hair in agony as I hear screams of anguish, later realizing they're mine.

Roger comes up to me, taking off the chains and wrapping his arms around me in comfort, as he tells the other men to back off.

"Julia, baby, please." I whisper as my eyes start to sag in defeat.

She is dead.

And it's my fault.

The burial was the hardest part of it all. Seeing the once lively, joyful woman that brought that same joy out of me being brought to a place unreachable completely shattered whatever was left of me.

She was gone and there was nothing I could do.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Juliette

"Juliette Anderson." Chief announces as I made my way towards the stage, walking with pride.

Being a female is hard in the police force, especially with insensitive, sexist men who did nothing but belittle you.

Jokes on them, I actually made it.

I shook Chief's hand as he congratulated me.

"Congratulations, Anderson. You proved them wrong."

"Sure did." I replied, a huge smile on my face.

As I walked off, I took a quick glance at those who glared at me.

I subtly flipped them off before hopping off the stage, excited for what's to come next.

I did it, and I know exactly what I'm going to do next.