T W E N T Y - T H R E E

"So what if he's coming over." Caroline asked.

"You still have your shield around the house." Iris replied.

"Didn't you hear what Sister Kathleen said, the shields useless he can come in easily." Caroline explained pouring herself a cup of coffee. "Why is he coming over again."

Iris huffed contemplating if she should tell Caroline what took place at school a couple hours ago. "If I tell you, can you promise not to tell anyone."

Caroline's eyes squinted then she nodded after taking a sip of her coffee.

"He almost attacked someone at school today."

"What!" Caroline gasped.

"I don't know what happened, one minute he was fine and we were talking the next he was ready to attack some girl." Iris muttered glancing up at the arch way entrance of the kitchen. Sebastian and Robin weren't in the house but Xander was still upstairs.

"Why are you so worried about them finding out." Caroline asked waving her hand in front of Iris's face to get her attention away from the kitchen doorway.

"Brother Dominic said that this was meant to be a test to see if the Cold One's are ready to join our world. If they find out about this they might change their minds about giving them a chance." Iris sighed.

"Then you won't be able to be with Edward and stay a Guardian." Caroline added sympathy forming in her eyes. "The Circle are the most powerful beings on Earth, you and I both know that they probably already know about this."

"Crap."

"But it's okay. A perfect species of supernatural beings that never kill isn't what the Circle is looking for, trust me." Caroline reassured with a soft smile. "If they were then three quarters of Eden's population wouldn't exist."

"Thanks Care."

"Are you sure he should be coming here though. You know Xander and I won't be here right?" Caroline said.

Iris nodded. "I'm pretty sure he went...hunting. Where are you two going?"

"On a date." Caroline replied with her bright smile hidden behind her coffee mug.

With a small laugh Iris matched Caroline's bright smile. "I really am happy for you Caroline, I never got the chance to tell you that."

"Thanks." Caroline said "I'm happy for you too regardless of the fact that if this doesn't end well I could loose you."

"What do mean."

"If the Circle decide against their possible choice of introducing the vampires into our world what are you going to do. You know the Laws-."

"Caroline." Iris interrupted. "That's not going to happen - remember what you told Brother Dominic, the Cullen's are good people and they'll realise that soon enough because I'm not going any way."