Chapter One

Chapter One

Kay felt consciousness returning to her and moaned, not wanting to get up. All she had was another boring day ahead of her, and in her opinion it was better to sleep it away. At least then she’d be doing something. Taking in a deep breath as she did each morning, she rolled over to the direction of her digital clock, eyes still closed.

Weird, she thought. The air smells like metal. Then, as she did every time she smelled something out of the ordinary, she snapped her eyes open. She found herself staring at a dull grey room. And instead of a wall where there usually was in her room, a small open space loomed before her, devoid of anything overly colorful. The only colors she saw were red and gold.

Kay sat up in an instant, ignoring the sharp headache that followed. “Hey!” she exclaimed, throwing back the covers of whosever bed she was in and standing up. Again the headache tapped her on the shoulder, but she pushed it away and staggered to the closed door. She pulled on it first, and when nothing happened, she pushed. “Let me out of—” Just then the door swung outward, making her stop mid-sentence. “…here.”

Again, all she saw was grey with random splashes of red and gold here and there. Confused but determined to know where she was, Kay slowly stepped out of the room and began walking down the hall. The only thing piercing the silence was the sound of her footsteps, but even that wasn’t very loud. When she was nearing the end of the hall she did a double take at an image on the wall. At first glance it just looked like a red circle within a black square. But when she looked closer, she could clearly see that it was the symbol of the Eggman Empire.

Kay stared at it for a minute, trying to figure out what was going on. Finally deciding that this was a prank of some sort, she continued walking. But when she rounded the corner and saw nothing but stars, she gasped and threw herself against the wall, eyes wide. What on earth is going on here? she thought, panicked. Soon, however, she realized that there was a glass window separating her from the mass blackness. So, with wobbly knees, she started forward again.

Her steps were slower this time, and her mind was racing. Is it possible that I’m in space? And if so, how? Just then she noticed a small speck of blue appear against the darkness, and with her curiosity renewed, she quickened her pace. Upon reaching the window she stopped and stared open-mouthed at the planet down before her. It was light blue with a perfect amount of clouds almost evenly spaced across the sphere. “Oh my gosh…” she breathed. Her mind flashed back to a Sonic Colors poster she had back home and her heart began to beat faster. “It almost looks like…” She stopped herself and shook her head. There’s no way that’s what I think it is. But… She looked around at what she was assuming was a space ship of some kind and asked aloud, “Where am I?”

“Don’t you recognize it?” a voice asked her in return. Kay spun around and almost fell over when she saw the man standing before her. He was tall – very tall – and wore a red and black uniform with gold buttons. He had a large brown mustache, but the top of his head was bald. His glasses shone with a blue tint.

All Kay could do was gawk.

“What’s the matter?” the man asked. “Don’t you know me?”

Kay opened her mouth to reply, but no sound came out. It took her a moment to find voice enough to say, “Doctor Eggman?”

A relieved look came over the man’s face. “Oh, good. For a moment I was afraid your memory had been lost during the transformation.”

“Transformation?” Kay asked weakly.

“Yes,” the doctor cocked his head. “Haven’t you noticed that you look a bit…different?”

With a confused frown, Kay held her hands out in front of her and almost jumped out of her skin when she realized that they were shorter and had a thin layer of fur covering them. “What the…?!” she exclaimed as she then turned her attention to the rest of herself. She found that she was shorter in every respect. The only thing that seemed to remain the same was the length of her hair, but even then it wasn’t hair. They were quills now, soft to the touch, but quills nonetheless. And to top it all off, she had a short brown stub for a tail.

Her eyes snapped back up to Eggman. “Did you do this to me?”

“I thought you’d like it,” he replied with a smile. “Now, this way, if you please.” He stepped to the side and gestured behind him, waiting patiently for her shock to wear off. Kay took another glimpse at herself before walking towards the bad guy from every Sonic comic she’d read. He smiled pleasantly at her as she walked past and then put a hand on her shoulder to navigate her through his base.

Finally they came to a room filled with computer screens and panels with a number of buttons on them. Kay guessed this was the control room. She stopped just inside the doorway as Dr. Eggman headed to the center, where he yanked a chair from one of the stations and swiveled it around to face her. “Have a seat.” Kay did as she was told and hesitantly sat down. Eggman pulled out another chair from another station and sat down opposite her so they were facing each other.

“Let’s skip the pleasantries and get right down to business, shall we?” he asked. “As you know, this war between myself and the Freedom Fighters has lasted for years. As you can well imagine, it has grown quite tiresome for us all, yet neither side is willing to surrender. I was rather hoping you could help me put an end to this once and for all.”

Kay was surprised. “Me?”

“Of course,” Eggman said, leaning back. “Your knowledge of the Freedom Fighters is far more valuable than you realize. Would you mind sharing it with me?”

It was then that Kay realized what was going on. This was just another one of his schemes, only he was trying to make her part of it. “Wait a minute. You turned me into this…” She paused to try and figure out just what Eggman had turned her into. Finally she simply gave up. “And brought me to the most amazing place in the universe…so that I can destroy it?”

“It seems rather harsh when you put it that way, but…essentially, yes,” the doctor replied. Kay stared at him in disbelief.

“What makes you think I’m going to cooperate with you?”

Eggman chuckled. “I can be very persuasive, my dear. I suggest you stay on my ‘good’ side.”

“I don’t think so.” Kay shook her head. “You’ll have to find someone else, Eggman.”

“Now, now, my dear, let’s not make any decisions without thinking things through.”

“I don’t need to think things through. My answer will be the same.” Kay said firmly. She stood up. “Have a bad day.” And with a curt nod, she turned on her heel and started to leave.

“And where will you go? You’re in space, remember?” Eggman said, stopping her. He rose from his chair and began to walk towards her. “Besides, even if you won’t share your knowledge with me, I can still find a use for you.”

“I won’t work for you,” Kay said.

“You won’t need to. In fact, when we get down to the planet, I want you to run away from me.” Eggman put a hand on her shoulder again. “I’m sure Sonic will be happy to come and save you…if I don’t blow him to pieces first!” With that, he launched into his famous evil laughter, pushing her along.

Kay sighed. You just never learn, do you, Eggman?