The Mare of My Night

I woke up in a cold sweat after this dream, well nightmare actually, and found myself shivering in coldness and my bed and pillow soaked in my sweat. I suddenly felt immediate warmth and safety knowing that dream was just that and nothing real. You see, in my dream I was walking around in the castle and heard voices calling out to me, shouting at me saying, "Prince! We need you're help. You are the only one who can do this!"
I distinctly remember me asking them who they were and how they knew me but to no avail. And then out of nowhere popped up this crazy lunatic old man claiming he was a wizard and he said to me:
"Into the forrest you will go,
A fork in the road you will find,
Choose a path and you will know,
What you must leave behind.
At heart of the forrest, for you we await,
So hurry, you mustn't be late,
For if you are, then as you know,
It will be time for us to go."
And then, leaving me with his cryptic words, he suddenly disappeared along with the castle and I was left alone only this new place was dark and mysterious and filled me with vibes of danger and agony. There was a window through which the moon could be seen and shadows dancing along the walls to it's pure white light and it was as if they were laughing at me. They danced closer and closer to me with evil grins on their faces showing their sharp teeth that looked like they were very capable of tearing me to shreds and it seems that's what they came here for. The closer they circled around me the harder I shook, I have never encountered such creatures before, even in my dreams. And suddenly they were too close, it felt like I couldn't breathe as if the air in my lungs was being sucked out of me, and too late I realized that it was. These awful creatures were sucking my soul straight from my body! It seemed they grew more wicked with every inhale, and they grew stronger and more scary if that was even possible. I didn't know what to do and so I just stood there as my life-force was fading away and felt my lungs start to collapse and my legs couldn't hold my weight anymore. As I fell down all I could see were these dark splotches around my blurry vision. When I thought I couldn't take it anymore and was ready to welcome death with open arms just to rid myself of this pain that left me gasping and panting like a dog it all just . . . stopped. The shadows were gone and in front of me I could see a hand that I reluctantly took as it helped me up and when I looked up at the face I saw that it was a woman who looked so familiar to me but I couldn't quite place where and when I had seen her before. She looked so kind and her beauty was radiating off of her like her own body thought it was too much to carry. Her hair was so dark it almost blended into the darkness of the room if it weren't for the small rays of light from the moon, even the moon thought she was beautiful and shone it's lights on her. Her eyes were an icy-blue that on anyone else would have looked daring and dangerous but on her looked welcoming and warm even,  sparkling along as her mouth pulled up into a smile, a smile that was for me. She opened her mouth and it was like the angels started singing when she said to me, "I think that's enough for today, you must relax and always be prepared! For the worst has yet to come."
Despite how cruel and harsh her words were to me, it was music to my ears because her voice was as soft as a summer nights breeze and as soothing as a flute playing away into the night. I felt myself drifting away and my eye lids were drooping down ever so slowly then I woke up and it was all over. I didn't know what this was all about but I think a part of me dreaded how important this could turn out to be but I refused to tell anyone about this insanity because they would call it just that. I went to my private bathroom and was getting myself ready because today is my 17th birthday but I was so startled when I looked in the mirror because I didn't recognize who it was that was staring back but then I realized that it was me. My once tanned skin was now pale and and under my eyes were bags so deep you'd think that they were stretched out. My cheeks once full now looked like I tried to starve myself to death. After a while of staring at my reflection I gave up and started to get ready for the celebration of my birthday because all of Valacia will be invited. I could only hope that a bit of food and water or juice could at least make me look presentable. I got into the tub for a warm shower and I couldn't stop thinking about the dream and all the feelings that stirred inside of me with every occuring thought of it. But I guess for now I'd have to find something else to think of like what I'll wear tonight at the ball and that sure made me shoo away the dream, tucking it into the back of my mind . . . . for now.