Chapter 1- Esmé's POV

Our bright red vehicle approached Prufrock Prepatory. I peer outside of the window, trying to pinpoint my friends scurrying to get into the school. We pause at they entrance before my mom begins to speak.

"Goodbye, Esmé." said my mom. "I'll see you at Christmas time, alright?"

"Bye, mom." I say, opening the door so I can get my things out from the trunk of the car.

"Oh, and one more thing." said my mother. She pulled out a notepad with at least 50 things written on it. "This is a list that says everything that's going to be in until December. Make friends that like these things. I'll let you know when they become outdated."

Sheesh. My mom is crazy. I'm definitely just going to stick with the friends I already have.

I grab the notepad, slam the door shut and grab my items out from the trunk of the car. As I walk through the gates I am approached my one of my friends.

"Esmé!" shouted a voice. I turned around and Olaf was standing there.

"Hey." I said, half-staring at his long, untamed hair that had seemed to grow longer over the summer. He ran to catch up to me.

"So...." began Olaf. "What did you do all summer?"

"Oh, you know.. the usual." I said.

"I actually don't know the usual." said Olaf. "Did you do your summer reading?"

"No way!" I said. "You?"

"Of cooourse I did my summer reading." said Olaf sarcastically.

"Ha." I said. "Reading was out all July, so my mom would kill me if I even touched a book."

Olaf and I walked into the school building, awaiting another year ahead of us.