Chapter 13 - History

There was a cacophonous yell that rose from the stands as if one person, the colour white drowning out anything else in the Cardiff stadium as the ref blew that final whistle.  Eleanor herself didn't contribute, too stunned to do anything but watch. She couldn't believe that this was the conclusion to her firest season.

Despite everything that had happened, she was a realistic girl and knew that with Zizou at the head and these amazing players they probably would have done it without her. What she did doubt however, was whether or not anyone would have talked to Cris and understood his issues. No one else would have had those deep conversations with Sergio and convinced him to just go for it. Emotionally she knew her purpose with these boys.

Speaking of, she noticed James standing considerably less happy than she had expected. Having an idea of what it could be about, she headed straight over to him. Her arms wrapped around his frame, making it look like a celebratory hug as she asked him what was up.

He looked like he was considering whether to answer honestly or not before replying; "What have I even done this season to contribute?"

Seeing someone else doubt their worth to the team bothered her greatly but she knew where it had come from. James was so talented when under Ancelotti but Zidane just didn't make use of him. She wasn't blind to the fact that he wanted more play time - had even tried her best to give it to him.

"You know that everyone is important in these competitions. And that definitely includes you," she said firmly, before softly adding, "I know you need it to change next season, I promise I'll do my best to make sure you're happy but for now, celebrate this with your teammates,"

At this his lips tugged into a small smile and he went straight over to Cris to congratulate him on his game. She was soon bombarded with the kids. First Alvaro and Isco arrived pulling her into a hug between them, while singing loudly. Next Marco came, kissing her on the cheek before doing the same to his parents. At this she removed herself before they got too excitable, moving to where Gareth was talking with Tony, grinning as they both hugged her - but much more gently. After a quick conversation she finally spotted the captain.

"Congratulations capi," she said, a smirk playing on her lips. They hadn't addressed the drunken kiss once, though she knew they both remembered as the atmosphere around them was different now - more teasing than before. The fact that they hadn't said it meant nothing stirred up a feeling somewhere close to hopefulness that she pushed down and ignored.

"And to you, mini boss," he grinned, pulling her into a quick hug. He looked great after a game, but he didn't smell it, she thought to herself, amused before she felt the sensation of his breath, hot against her neck. Feeling a drop in her stomach - not a bad one - she pulled out of it, reaching up to ruffle his hair before walking away. Another feeling to push to the back of her mind.

The press conference went by in a blur, compulsory celebrations leaving Eleanor feeling as though she were on ecstacy as she stood by Zizou most of the night, leaving the players to celebrate what they had earned. And then they ended up where they all were now.

She watched amused as Lucas clung to Toni's arm, looking up at him with an adoring expression on his face. Toni seemed to have an eternal blush covering his pale face but seemed to be blaming the alcohol and not the small Spaniard who enjoyed touching his butt.

Otherwise, people were in their usual positions, Cris whispering words to a teary James, who was gradually starting to smile (she would have been worried if she hadn't known that he was crying over the picture of a baby turtle). Luka and Mateo were arguing about something inew Croatian, while the kids were all dancing wildly in the centre. Eleanor had seen so many dabs that she'd decided not to watch for fear of slapping them. Currently, she was chatting with Marcelo who had had a huge grin plastered on his face since the final whistle had gone - she wondered briefly whether his face got tired or if it was so natural it took more effort to look neutral. He was gushing about his kids and she hung on to every word he said.