chapter eleven

credits; multifandomtakeover on ao3

pairing; richie tozier x eddie kaspbrak

summary; Eddie Kaspbrak is a little inexperienced in the kissing department and Richie Tozier is more than willing to help him out.

-------------

i.

The first time Richie kisses Eddie, it happens to be on a sunny Thursday afternoon in March.

"Truth or dare, Eddie," Ben says from across the circle. Currently, all seven of the losers are in the Barrens, spending a much needed day off from their senior year together. They sit cross-legged, knee to knee, in the midst of the grass, talking and playing games. However, when Bev had suggested they play truth or dare, Eddie was less than thrilled. But Richie dragged him down in the circle and forced him to play. It's not that he's embarrassed to admit something to his friends, it's how close in proximity Richie is to him. It makes him feel the need to keep his hand tightly grasped around his inhaler just in case his lungs suddenly decide to give out.

"Truth," Eddie blurts without thinking. Good job, numb nuts, he thinks to himself. Now you'll for sure be embarrassed.

Ben, being the sweet person he is, can't think of anything truly embarrassing to ask Eddie. Or anyone for that matter. So he simply says, "Who was your first kiss with?"

Eddie's eyes widen so that his whole iris can be seen. He actually does begin to panic a little. He brings the inhaler to his mouth to take a puff, but thinks better of it.

"C-c'mon, Eddie," Bill says from the other side of Richie. "It c-c-can't be th-that ba-had."

Eddie draws in a shaky breath and looks up to the sky to avoid eye contact with anyone. "I've never actually, you know, kissed anyone before?" It comes out as a question even though he's entirely certain of the fact. He expects teasing in any and all forms, but none comes.

But Richie does say, "Wait, really?"

It's a valid question, but it causes Eddie to get angry. "No, Rich. You're on fucking Candid Camera. There's a hidden camera over there." He points off towards one of the bushes in the area, but nobody looks. He rolls his eyes and stands from the ground, brushing off his jeans. He has to consciously keep himself from running from his friends. He hears Mike and Stan shouting at the rest of the group things like "Good job" and "Way to fucking go." He gets all the way to Kansas Street and his bike before he hears someone coming after him.

"Jesus fucking Christ, Eds," Richie says, cresting the hill. He bends over, hands on his knees to catch his breath. "For a little guy, you sure move fast."

Eddie works his bike out from the heap the losers made with their bikes. "I'm aerodynamic," he says sarcastically. "And don't call me that." He finally gets his bike out and he starts to push it away when Richie grabs his wrist.

"Hold on," he says, face completely serious. "Why did you run?"

"I didn't want to get made fun of. I know everyone else down there has had their first kiss and it just sucked," Eddie responds quietly.

They are both silent for a while. Finally, Richie speaks up: "You must think we're pretty shitty friends."

"What?" Eddie asks, thoroughly confused. "Of course not."

"Then why would you think we'd make fun of you for something as trivial as a kiss?" Richie responds. He takes a step closer to Eddie and puts his hand on the handlebar of his bike. Their fingers end up overlapping and Eddie feels like he actually can't breathe. "I could- I could teach you."