Maybe Christmas Isn't So Bad

Maya's POV

I hate Christmas.

I hate everything about it, from the cheesy commercials to the cliche carols. From the 1st up until the 25th the month is dedicated to presents and lights and naivety plays. For 24 you are filled with false hope and excitement, until the day finally arrives. And when it does you finally realise that all the prepartion was for nothing, because after you have opened your presents, had your dinner, and the excitement has fizzed down, what do you have left?

A mess, a mess is what you you have left. It hits you that it will take you days to clean up, but how long will it take you to fix your broken heart? An emptiness looms after Christmas is over. The decorations hang meaninglessly now that the season has passed, and the lights seem to shine a little too brightly. You try to reignite your happiness with New years, but let's be honest, that's never as good as Christmas. So, my point still stands, what's the point in giving people hope that's only going to be taken away after?

That's why I'm here on Christmas Eve with nothing to prepare or look forward to. Most of my friends invited me to spend Christmas with them,but I turned them all down, even Riley. I wasn't going to spend Christmas with if he was there. I realised that if a guy you've known your whole lige still doesn't like you at 20, theres no hope.

My thoughts were interrupted when my phone started to ring.

"Hello"

"Hey Maya, I know it's Christmas eve and everything, but the band we booked just cancelled on us and we have no other acts, do you mind performing today?" I can literally piture Topanga's face right now, Christmas is a busy time for the coffee shop.

"Okay, but you owe me okay?" I tease.

"Double presents it is then. Thanks so much!"

I end the call and throw on my jacket before heading out, I really just wanted to relax today.

Bah, humbug!

10 Minutes later..

I take a  breath and beam as the crown claps wildly, cheering for me to sing again.

"How bout some Christmas songs?" Someone yells from the crowd, pretty soon everyone is agreeing which soon turn into the crowd urging me to sing 'All I want for Christmas is you" I can feel my face twisting at the suggestion, I don't sing Christmas songs.

"I'm sorry, I don't know the chords, I say, signalling to my guitar. The crowd groans, and i give them an apologetic look.

Thank goodness I'm off the hook.

"Wait" someone shout "I know the chords" The corowd cheers,and I scan the clusters of people to search for the person who said this. I can feel my mouth forming into a little circle, as I realise who it is .

It's him.

Otherwise known asJoshua Matthews, Uncle Boing and man of my dreams. Note the dreams part, he's made it clear that we could never happen. Everything about him makes my heart beat a million times a minute, where do I even begin?And who could blame me when he has those amazing ocean blue eyes, outlined with those gorgeous long eyelashes. And his perfect chocolate brown hair that falls perfectly over his forehead. Let's not forget his smile, I swear it could melt ice, when he smiles at you it feels as if you are the only person that matters to him in that moment.

But like I said, man of my DREAMS.

My thoughts are interrupted when I hear him tuning my guitar, I begin to protest, but the microphone was thrusted into my hands and Josh began to play.

"I don't want a lot for Christmas

There is just one thing I need

I dont care about the presents

Underneath the Christmas tree

I just want you for my own

More than you could ever know

Make my wish come true oh

All I want for Christmas is you"

I look over to Josh and our gazes connected. My voice grows stronger as I realise what I'm signing has some truth to it.

The last verse comes and I look at Josh, making sure that he knows that I'm singing about him.

"I just want you for my own

More than you could ever know

Make my wish come true

All I want for Christmas is you"

I closed my eyes stretching the last note, I can hear my voice spreading across the room. I shock myself at how amazing I sound, maybe Christmas songs are my thing. I opened my eyes and the room is silent in shock, before breaking out into loud cheers. I thank them and run of the stage, my face red from blushing.

A group of people approached me, praising me on my singing. I thank them and talk to them for a while befire a certain voice interrupts me.

"Maya?" I turn around to find Josh gazing at me with an expression I can't quite read.

"Josh, What do you want?" I narrow my eyes, tapping my foot impatiently, although in reality I am thrilled that he wants to talk to me.

"I just, er. You were...good, really good" His voice falters and his eyes dropped to the floor avoiding my own. Is the Joshua Matthews nervous around me A smirk plays on my lips realising this.

"Thanks Josh, you were good too"

He gives me a half smile before preparing to leave, but the stops and faces me.

"Hey Maya, I know that you're not into Christmas and all, but it wouldn't fell right without you tomorrow. Do you want to join us this year I'm sure they wouldn't mind, your practically family".

I smile at his sweet gesture, but frown after realising I already said no to Riley."I'm sorry but...." his expression drops and his eyes darken slightly with sadness. My hearr melts a little and I finally give in"OK then.."

"Yes!" He pulls me into a tight hug, and I laugh at his excitement. He looks up before looking deeply into my eyes.

"Hey Maya, we're under the mistletoe" He looks up before his lips lock with ine. The caress of his lips against mine sends my heart racing, and a warmth fills my body. He places his hand at the back of my head, deepening the kiss. Just when the climax bulids, he pulls away.

"I really like you Maya"

I grin and my heart explodes, I'm about to reply but look up, I playfully narrow my eyes, realising that he tricked me.

"Josh, how come I don't see any mistletoe?"

"Um.... " He runs out of the shop and into the snowy streets, I chase after him, laughing so hard that my breath is visible in the cold air.

Maybe Christmas isn't so bad after all....