CHAPTER FOUR

[BIRDS WITHOUT WINGS]

Nina got settled into her room and Mama was welcomed to the tower whenever she pleased. When it was time for them to say their goodbyes, Mama pulled Nina close to her and whispered something inaudible.

She stood at her full height and looked at Natasha and the secretary with sad happiness.

"Calls every night, right?" Mama asked Natasha.

Natasha said with a nod, "Nine o'clock sharp."

"Okay. Well, thank you."

"You're welcome, Misses Zollas. If you need anything, just call or stop by."

"I'll remember that. Goodbye."

She looked at the secretary for a few moments before turned and departing through the elevator.

"Alrighty, Miss Macy, could you help Nina to get some food and drink if she's hungry? Also, give her a tour of the floor if she needs reminding. And if she needs anything, let me know."

"Yes, Ma'am."

Natasha raised a subtle brow at the 'Ma'am' and perked the right corner of her lips before turning to leave.

Mari, rather, Macy knocked and entered Nina's room, where she saw the young girl writing in a notebook at the desk.

"What're you writing?" she asked softly.

"Stories about the Avengers."

"Really?" Macy asked, though part of her knew this. "Which Avenger is your favorite?"

"That's a tough choice," Nina put her pencil down and looked at Macy. "Spider-Man was always my favorite, but I'm starting to like Black Widow too. Who's yours?"

"Well, Black Widow's always a good choice - especially since she's my boss. I like Spider-Man too. He's a good man."

"He's not a man," she giggled. "He's just a teenager. I saw him. He's barely older than my sister Mari is."

She stopped and her face fell.

"Was."

Macy's breathing staggered.

Nina's brow furrowed and the corners of her mouth tucked into her rosy cheeks.

"Honey, it's okay," Macy said. It sounded so stupid. Here she was, saying the worst lie in the world. And saying it on top of another lie! "It'll be okay."

Nina wiped her eyes quickly.

Macy stood and approached her. She crouched and put a hand on her back. "I promise it'll be okay."

Nina stared at the ground. "She's dead. How is that okay?"

"It's not. But it'll get better."