CHAPTER TWELVE

[REPENTANCE]

Tony and Natasha spoke in hushed tones some meters away from Mari, who stood as her mother sat with Nina in her lap. Mama was reading the letter. Mari faced her relatives, but watched the windows. Paranoia was settling into her bones and seeping into her blood.

She heard Tony mention a place 'off the grid'.

Natasha was better at whispering, though, and he quieted down to her level. Natasha's back was to them and Tony's face was to them, watching the three. Mari rocked on the balls of her feet, zoning off into the city.

She turned slightly and saw Tony seeing her.

She matched his calm, but worried, expression. He waved his hand at something Natasha said and nodded to what she said next.

He started over to them and Natasha turned and smiled tightly at Mari. She followed.

Mama and Nina stood.

"We're going to relocate you," he started. "We have a compound upstate, completely off the grid to everyone but us. It will be on lockdown while you're there, only accessible by Natasha, Vision, and I. Vision will live there the entire time you're there. He's been trained in first aid and he's one of our best in combat, so he'll keep you safe. You can trust him." He smiled reassuringly. "Natasha and I will go with you to get you all settled and show you around."

"No one will be able to contact you, other than us," Natasha added, peering at the letter.

"Louis can't contact me then?"

"No, but neither can the bad guys," Natasha answered. "It's the best option. It really is."

Mari sighed and looked at Mama. Mama nodded. "Okay," Mari said.

"Okay," Tony echoed. "We'll pack some of your things and send them tomorrow. We should leave as soon as possible."

They didn't put up a fight, and he called Vision. He told him what had happened and what was happening. Vision agreed to the conditions, of course, and was told to pack while they boarded the jet.

LATER

After the jet disappeared over the forested horizon, Mari turned to look at their group. Mama and Nina were roaming the living room area that they found themselves in. Vision strode to Mari, at the wall of windows.

The compound was a good sized industrial structure — having a half-dozen bedrooms, a grande sitting/living room, two kitchens, and a great number of bathrooms.

"I'm not quite sure what to say, Mari," Vision said after Mama and Nina left the room, probably off to see the bedrooms. "Congratulations on the case, is a start."

She laughed softly.

"I'm sorry your life has been so..."

"Chaotic?"

"Yes, chaotic. It's quite a lot for a someone of your innocence to stand."