Chapter 34

I bit into my chewy stake with relish. There were only a few places that did well done stake to perfection an Rosie's was on top of the list.

I sat there munching keeping my gaze on the plate before me. Then Brett spoke.

"Josh is taking the house but on reduced offer," he said.

I looked up then with interest.

"How much?" I asked.

Brett named his sum. I pondered for ...one second...two..then said," Deal!"

I sold my house. My home for so many years. I blinked back the tears that pooled in my eyes to get back to my chewing.

I munched some more. Then gulped down some coke to help me swallow. My throat felt tight. Constricted. Making a sudden urgent move I excused myself and escaped to the ladies.

I needed to regroup. I needed the sale but letting go was hard. Washing my face and reapplying my make up I made my way out to the front only to notice the boys were not around. A quick glance out the window showed Josh driving off in Brett's car. I looked in askance as Brett made  his way back into Rosie's.

"What's going on? Where has Josh gone?" I asked him.

"He's gone back to the city." Then at my shocked look he added," You will be staying with me at my place tonight."

I opened my mouth to object but he closed his down on mine silencing me, effectively.