Chapter 9

After a few more days of avoiding Jay, the weekend finally rolled around. My Ma and Wyatt's dad had decided, leaving Wyatt in charge of me and my siblings as usual. No one seemed to mind since we just watched movies and used Wyatt's video game console in the main living room downstairs.

"It's almost time for dinner," Wyatt sighing, making Pedro and Carlos look away from the T.V. in front of them. They had disappointed looks on their faces, and they ended up asking Wyatt if they could keep using his console. I rolled my eyes at them both, wondering why an eleven and fourteen-year-old were acting like toddlers with their nanny.

"Sure, you can even eat right here in the living room. I'm not stopping you guys," Wyatt said as he got up from the couch he'd been sitting on. "We're going to have pasta again. I'm sorry, I really don't know how to make much," he said, rubbing the back of his neck with his palm as my siblings laughed. Juana got up, following him to the kitchen with an intent to help.

I stayed in the living room with everyone else, playing a game on my phone as I waited for dinner to be ready.

When it was done I took my plate of pasta upstairs, pausing in my tracks as I watched Wyatt unlock his room door. He turned, making me look away in shock when I met his gaze. I'd just realized I'd been standing and staring for the last minute.

"What?" I heard him ask, followed by a small sigh when I didn't say anything in response. "If you want to come in, that's okay with me. We can even watch a movie together," I heard him add, and when I looked up he'd already disappeared into his bedroom.

I thought about what he had said for a while, biting my bottom lip before heading to his room. I closed the door behind me before looking around. Today, the room was bathed in light purple light, making me look up at the light bulbs above to find them covered in purple wrapping paper. I looked over at him, raising a brow in silent question.

"What? I wanted a change," he chuckled, before tapping the area on the carpet beside him. "You can seat here, just try not to get food on the carpet," he said, smiling at me before he got up and headed to the two monitors attached to his purple keyboard.

"You really like purple, don't you?" I laughed, looking about his room again, noticing the color code. Everything that wasn't black was some shade of purple. I heard him chuckle, making me look back at him. He was sitting by his study table now, and was scrolling through a streaming site I assumed to be Netflix.

"Do you have anything you want to watch?" he asked, making me shrug. He hummed, and I frowned when he clicked on the movie cover for the emoji movie.

"Please no—"

"Why not? It's hilarious," he laughed, getting up from the chair he was sitting on before heading back to sit by me on the carpet.

"Really? Hilarious?" I said in a sarcastic tone, rolling my eyes when he nodded.

"Yup. It's so terrible that it's hilarious," he said, making me chuckle when I understood his reasoning.

"So, we're just going to laugh at how bad it is?"

"Yup," he said, popping the P as he looked back at the screen of his computer. The film soon started, and we both ate our pasta in silence as the promo-filled animation movie that was a rip-off of Wreck it Ralph and Inside Out played on the monitor of his computer's screen. From time to time Wyatt would chuckle, making me turn to look at him in the dim lighting of his room. His laugh was clear and deep, and it was a bit odd to hear it since he never really laughed. Heck, he rarely even talked on a normal day.

"What?" he asked, making me blink. I turned away, muttering a small apology when I realized I'd been looking at him for a little too long. I don't know, I'm not myself today. Maybe it's the purple lights?

Wyatt didn't say anything after that, so I guessed he'd just let my creepy behavior go. I looked up after a while, trying to make something out of the mess we were watching on Netflix.

I frowned when I felt my phone buzz in my pocket. Wyatt looked down too and watched as I took it out before getting up. I headed out of the room, making to stand by the door before I swiped the green button on my screen to answer the call.

"Hello?" I said, wanting to get over with whatever conversation the person at the other end had in mind.

"Hey Ant." I let out a loud groan, rolling my eyes at the sound of Jay's voice. I should have checked the caller I.D. I thought, covering my face with my palm in annoyance. Jay was currently talking, but I wasn't interested in what he had to say. Instead, my focus was on a Wyatt who was still sitting on the carpet, and eating. The door was just half closed so I could still look at him from where I was.

"Ant, are you even listening to me?" Jay's voice suddenly made an appearance in my subconscious.

"No, not really," I answered honestly before hanging up and stuffing my phone back into my pocket. I knew I'd regret it tomorrow when I got to school, but frankly, at this moment, I just didn't care. I was already losing my patience with him altogether.

I walked back into Wyatt's room before closing the door behind me. He looked up at me, watching me with a curious gaze as I headed to sit beside him on the carpet again. I knew he wanted to ask me what was going on, but he seemed to be thinking against that since I usually dodged the question anyway.

"There's this dude in my school that says he wants to date me."

"Wait, what?" Wyatt asked, frowning in confusion as I chuckled a bit. I probably shouldn't have said that out of the blue.

"His name's Jay, and he's been bothering me for a while now. I just want him to fuck off, but ma said I shouldn't be throwing fists or getting into fights," I said, sighing as I tried to explain things better. Wyatt's frown dulled, and he seemed to fully understand what I had talked about now.

"Ah, so that's what's been bothering you," he said, shifting before hugging his knees to his chest. He was wearing a black onesie. "What exactly is he doing? Does he like you, or is he trying to force you into something? If you know what I mean."

I thought about it for a while before sighing. "He's just being Jay," I ended up saying, making Wyatt laugh.

"You should block him if he's making you uncomfortable," he said, making me hum as I thought about it.

"I'm probably going to end up doing that," I mumbled, making Wyatt give me a small smile. My eyes widened in shock as I watched him rest his head on my shoulder after that. I felt his hair against my neck, and I made to stay still, not wanting to move.

"I'm getting tired. Can you help me drop my plate off in the kitchen when you leave? Oh, wake me up too," he said as he shut his eyes. I found myself humming, not trusting my mouth to say anything sensible at the moment.

Weird. I thought, biting my bottom lip as I took a peek at him from the corner of my eye. He looked like he'd dozed off, so he couldn't see me. I couldn't explain how I was feeling, but I could say it wasn't normal — yet, it didn't feel like a wrong kind of abnormal.

Just new and uncharted territory.