Lament of Chaos

When the Gods called for help, we did not hesitate to offer ourselves. There were hundreds of us, but only a handful proved the most selfless, the purest, the most loyal.

With the powers gifted to us, we fought back the darkness. It came in all guises, and it was darker than night, made of shadow and fear and hunger; it was nightmare given form.

But we fought, and when our lives came to an end our souls entwined with the powers we wielded and we were reborn; we were legacies. We watched the world through the generations; we watched the world fall to strife and despair, again and again, and we watched the world rise and rebuild, again and again.

Yet the nightmares we were created to hunt lived on, and we fought still. We fought while nestled in the hearts of our successors, and we strengthened them. We comforted them when their lives, too, came to an end. They would live on, like we did, and continue to protect the world from the darkness, the nightmares, that only we could fight.

But when the world turned on us, when the world fell to a war stoked by a darkness of a different kind, by hatred, that the world created itself, we could not fight.

We were created to protect the world, but when the time came the world did not protect us.

And we were killed by them instead.

Our legacies ended.

Except one.

Except mine.

But after decades of oblivion I have woken inside the heart and soul of someone who must bear a terrible burden, and I, too, am marred by grief from what the world did to us.

I have returned with the ability to once again protect the world – but I cannot say whether I want to.

I may let it burn.