Chapter Sixteen

Felix stood amongst the flourishing gardens at the back of the manor, his brow drawn inward with a frown as he recalled Noah's conversation with the young boy accused of drug dealing. The boy had seemed utterly bemused by the idea that he had been sent in to the House of Wind as a spy, and although he had been stubborn and reluctant he had answered all the questions asked of him by the watchtower's warden and Noah. He had genuinely not known the identity of the Lord of Crime either, but that didn't surprise Felix. The man knew how to cover his tracks, and was powerful enough to even have the assassin Reven's Hellfire under his thumb.

The boy had come from Klave, however. It wasn't exactly a surprise considering almost all of Reven's corruption stemmed from Klave, but it only served to add to the rumour that the Lord of Klave was working with the Lord of Crime, and therefore involved in the recent spike of crime around Reven's east. There hadn't been any proof, of course, but everyone believed it regardless.

Felix had never been to Klave, nor did he ever want to, especially not when it was ruled by a man like Callidus Lecreux who punished his citizens by unleashing his guards on them who were aptly named bloodhounds.

Realising his frown was still in place, Felix eased his expression and dismissed the thoughts from his mind.

'You're taking on Noah's worries again.'

Felix looked to his right where Addius appeared through the nearby hedges and said, 'Is that not my job?'

Addius' markings crept back from his sculpted, Centoren-gifted high cheekbones in what Felix considered sympathy. Centorens rarely felt sympathy for anything though – except their own claws, when they had finished gutting someone.

'Your job is to protect Noah, that's all,' Addius reminded him.

'Am I not doing that?' Felix replied, frowning again. 'I haven't left Noah's side since we first learned to walk.'

'A fact you have no qualms reminding me about, repeatedly,' Addius quipped. 'But yes, you are protecting Noah – you are also coddling him.'

'Oh, here we go,' Felix muttered, stepping around Addius to continue ahead.

Addius fell into step beside him. 'You don't agree? We're not just Noah's protectors, Felix, we are his advisors.'

'I'm also his friend,' Felix said pointedly, and when he glanced across to Addius he almost regretted the words at the sight of Addius' markings stretching back toward his nose with a spike of irritation.

'You think I don't consider myself as Noah's friend? You forget who you're talking to, kit,' Addius said, a subtle growl edging his words.

That's certainly not possible, thought Felix. He tried not to take offence to the use of kit, which was an Iskrin term that Centorens used when referring to their young. It could have been affectionate, but Addius' tone implied the opposite. Not quite as insulting, however, as illien.

Deciding to change the subject, Felix asked, 'What do you think of Kaya and... what she is?'

'I think the girl is far more capable than Noah realises, and far more dangerous,' Addius said, the growl still in his voice. 'Noah is more focused on the fact that she survived all these years, not how she survived. That is my concern, and what threats it might pose to Noah.'

'Other than the obvious?'

'Other than the obvious, yes.'

Felix had thought the same thing, but he hadn't yet broached the topic with Noah – at least not in depth – the way Addius might already have, to no avail of course. Felix knew he had more influence over Noah than Addius or the others did, but he refused to abuse that in any circumstance.