New Beginnings

Adrenal cancer.

It was something Mark thought he had fought off years ago when the doctors told him that he didn't have to worry about removing the tumor found when his appendix was swollen.

Yet here he was sitting in the doctor's office listening to him go on about how his cancer tumor had grown bigger and deadlier after looking at his most recent x-ray from his checkup yesterday.

Mark tried to pay attention, but couldn't seem to focus as he thought of what he would tell his family while wondering how they would react.

Would his mom cry?

Would his brother blame himself?

Would his step-mom lose her temper?

What about the rest of his younger family members?

Would they wonder why he wouldn't be over for family holidays anymore?

"...Mr. Fischbach?"

Mark snapped out of his thoughts when he heard his name, swallowing hard as he pushed the darkness to the back of his mind where he knew that it would resurface later that night.

"I asked you if you would be willing to start chemotherapy tomorrow." The doctor repeated patiently with a sympathetic smile that made Mark fidget uncomfortably.

"Sure I guess." Mark shrugged, his confident tone replaced with one thick with resignation.

"Very well, I'll call you tonight when we have an appointment time worked out for you." The doctor told him as he stood up.

"Thank you." Mark nodded in appreciation as he slowly stood up, running a hand through his hair.

I'm gonna miss it, Mark thought sadly as he left the room and followed the doctor to the waiting lobby.

"I'm gonna warm you now, some of the symptoms include high blood pressure, high blood sugar, muscle cramps, depression, and easy bruising." The doctor informed Mark grimly.

"I'll keep that in mind." Mark mumbled as he stuck his hands in his jeans pockets and trudged out the door.

As he walked through the parking lot to his car, he pulled out his phone and looked up "best ways to help with sadness", mainly out of curiosity to see if any of the treatments would look helpful.

He clicked on a website called WebMD, scrolling through a list of ten things to help with depression.

"Routine, have that, exercise, do that, continue responsibilities, always, have fun....that'll take some work, but no promises. Trying new things....I'll think of something new to try later or wait until the opportunity arises." Mark decided aloud before he stuck his phone back into his pocket and got into his car.

He switched on the radio after buckling up, listening to the weird pop music he didn't understand the lyrics to as he pulled off of his parking spot and onto the road with the windows down and one of his arms sticking out the window.

Mark felt the warm afternoon sunlight bathe his face in its golden glow as the wind blew through his hair and caused his t-shirt to ripple slightly against the back of his seat.

Mark tuned out the music as he focused on the road while his thoughts wandered, his steering steady nonetheless.

As Mark signaled that he was turning, another car cut him off so he couldn't turn in time.

"Damnit." Mark sighed in irritation, starting to find a way to get back in the correct route before a billboard caught his attention.

"Need someone to keep you company? Come adopt a pet at West Central LA Shelter." Mark read aloud thoughtfully.

For a moment, Mark considered heading home anyway despite how tempted he felt.

"The list did say to try new things, and this definitely qualifies since I've never visited that shelter before." Mark shrugged decisively as he continued forward on his path while looking up directions.

Surprisingly he wasn't far away according to Google Maps, brightening his mood slightly.

"Here it is." Mark mused as he drove into the parking lot into a spot close to the door.

Yet as Mark parked his car, he still couldn't help but hesitate as he thought about what he was doing.

On one hand, he was lonely.

But on the other, he didn't want his pet to believe that Mark had abandoned them and cause more pain.

Even though the cons seemed heavier than the pros, Mark finally fit out of the car and slowly walked in.

A bell chimed overhead as the door opened, alerting the desk receptionist of his presence.

"Hi, I'm looking for a dog." Mark told the lady at the counter of the animal shelter.

"I'll show you our selection." The woman smiled kindly as she guided Mark to the back.

Mark's eyes scanned the many good dogs, listening to their barks while feeling his heart break at the sight.

He walked past many breeds such as German Shepherds, mutts, and evens few poodles before he eventually reached the end with no dog in mind that he wanted.

Until a new one came in.

"I found her abandoned in a home that the owners had moved out of awhile ago, and she put up a hell of a fight to stay and wait for the owners to return. She's really sick too, as well as dehydrated and malnourished." A man spoke in a rush as he barged in holding a lump of fur in his hands.

Mark could see the dirty white-blonde fur on the dog slowly rise up and down with each breath it took, her large, sad chocolate brown eyes looking into Mark's own eyes with a mournful look that made Mark want to hug the puppy and never let go.

She let out a whimper before she lowered her head and closed her eyes, making tears well up in Mark's eyes.

"That's the dog I want." Mark decided aloud.

"A-are you sure? We have plenty of other dogs -"

"She's perfect." Mark interrupted.

The man exchanged glances with the woman before gently handing the puppy over.

"What's her name?" Mark asked softly as he watched the puppy lick his fingers with a small smile.

"Sephora according to the rope the owners tied to her before leaving." The man stated as he pulled out a tattered piece of rope with her name burnt onto it.

"Sephora...like the makeup. How about Chica?" Mark whispered to the puppy.

Chica let out a soft yip as she curled into a tighter ball in Mark's hand.

"Chica it is." Mark chuckled, delicately running a finger down her soft back.

"You're a good dog." Mark told her as he walked towards the exit.

"You'll always be my good dog." Mark promised her.