Chapter 1~ How it All Began

When I came to, my head was resting against the passenger door window. Tommy was sitting in the driver's seat next to me. The evening sun was drawing in and it was warming up my skin. I looked out side at the trees they looked like it was really windy, it wasn't till then I realized that Tommy was driving like he had a woman in labor in the back seat.
"Dude, cool it alittle." I muttered in a half whisper. I must of scared him because he swerved when I spoke. He looked at me panicked.
"Are you okay!?" He was death gripping  the wheel.
"Yeah man I'm fine. Just got a bit of a headache. But I'm good." He looked at me like I killed his mother.
"FINE!? You just got beaten up by a guy a year older than you. In front of the girl you like by the way. Then you walked through a mile of woods And the second I put you in this car you went out like a candle. And you're trying to tell me your FINE!?" He looked at me.
"Yes" ... There was silence...
"HECK NO! Were going to the ER."
"Tommy, seriously I feel fine. And even if didn't, and we go to the emergency room. They will ask questions and I would have to tell them that, Pretty boy back there kick my behind. Which will go back to the school and then to his parents and he would beat me up again. And you don't want that to happen do you?" He glanced all around the road and then sighed.
"You really feel fine?"
"Yeah I'm good. Not great, but good." He loosened his death grip.
"We still should put Ice on it, and clean up your cuts."
"Yeah, okay. My parents aren't home we can go there." He shook his head and relaxed in his seat. He rolled his crank window down and put his elbow out it and his hand on his forehead. I smiled because of how bad he freaked out. What a wuss. But it was nice to know my friend cared about me.
          Oh yeah sorry I haven't introduced myself yet. My name's Bennett, Bennett Peterson, or as my family calls me Benni. I'm sixteen and my best friend is Thomas Emerson. I know, sounds like the inventor. That's why he goes by Tommy. Tommy and I have been friends since we were little but when we were 10 we bonded when we tried to make a band with some other friends, yeah that didn't go well but I did get a best friend out of the deal, so in the end, it worked out pretty good.

               But I know your not here to learn my story, this story is about my town. The town of Muere. The truth is, it's was just your cliché small town. At least it was until what happened at the lake that night.

           Any way, back to what happened. I looked at Tommy. He was a good built guy was around 5' 10" had braud shoulders and a fit figure from swimming. He had blue-gray eyes and short straight black hair. He had very light freckles on his nose and cheeks, even though be had ran skin. He could be like the preps, but he was better person than them. He did care about the status quo, or frankly what other people thought about him, don't get me wrong he's still ridiculously nice, he just doesn't care. And like me he was utterly astonished by the girl down the street.  Jenna Haze.
"We're here" he snapped me out of my thoughts.
"Home sweet home." We pulled into the drive way of my gray and brick house in the middle of the street. My house was good sized, with lots of Windows and hard wood floors. It was facing the woods that was in the edge of the town a few streets down. Me and Tommy walked in to the mud room and then through the living room, up the stairs into my room down the hall. My room is actually pretty cool, I have a desk next to the door the corners in, my tv and bookshelf in the corner to the right of that. Their was a platform about a foot up on the farthest wall with big Windows were my bed was. And my dresser was in the other corner. Tommy got a shirt and shorts out of my drawer. I didn't mind, he's my best friend so we steel each other's close alot when we go to each other's houses, and to be honest they were probably his anyways. I got some cloths too and went into the bathroom, I looked in the miror. I didnt realize how many cuts there were on my face until then. The bag of my left eye was begining to turn yellow. My stomach hurt so I took off my shirt and noticed the large bruise forming in the middle of my stomach, from Jason punching me. I got some rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball and then started to clean my cuts. I know your thinking this must hirt like crazy, but I've been cut enough that I learned cleaning them was the easy part. Tommy came in and took one of the swabs and put alcohol on it.
"Okay don't freak out, but you have a pretty big cut on the back of your head, so this might hurt a little." He then took the ball and lightly pressed it against my head. Yeah you know what I said earlier? Forget I said that, it hurt just as bad as when I got hit in the stomach. He finished cleaning my cut and put butterfly bandaids on it. I said thank you and he went back to my room and I shut the door and got in the shower.
           My hair had dirt and muck in it from being on the ground. I had to to it softly because my  bruises hurt when I went over them, but I still tried to be quick though since Tommy was here. I got out of the shower and looked in the mirror. I have very light brown hair that usually turns blonde in the summer, slightly wavy hair, blue-green eyes with speckes of gold in them. I have slightly tan skin. Since me and Tommy both were active we are shaped very similar. Only he's about a quarter of an inch taller than me, but you can't tell unless we actually measure. I put on the clothes I grabbed earlier and went back to my room across the hall. When I came in Tommy was looking through my shelf for a movie.
"Dude we need to update your movie selection."  He said with his voice muffled from having his head in the cabinet.
"Well if you think Disney and dr.Suess movies aren't good movies then you have no class." I said throughing my towel in my hamper.
"Ah ha!! Finally, something other than pixar." He pulled out the old Batman with Adam west. He popped it in and sat on the side edge of my bed. I sat down in front of my bed and we started watching the movie. About half way through the movie I saw Tommy looking at me from the corner of my eye. He looked a little out of it.
"Take a picture, it'll last longer." I guess me saying that snapped him out of his daze and he half grinned.
"Sorry, I was just thinking about..."  "earlier?" I said turning to him.
"Yeah, I'm sorry I didn't help. I couldn't get those guys off of me, and you ended up getting hurt and... I couldn't help you." He lowers his head.
"Tommy, it's okay I know they were holding you back. There's nothing either of us could of done. Especially with that Doe Doe bird Jason." Tommy smiled a little.
"So we're good?" He raised his eye brows.
"Yes, we're good Tommy" I pat his back. "Although I will have to inform you this is your second strike, so if it happens again. I'm sorry to say I'll have to replace you with a newer model." I said jokingly. He looked confused for a minute but then very faintly side grinned.
"Are you talking about in fifth grade when Hai Yogh beat you up."
"It was a mutual pummeling. And you wern't there because you were talking to Jazzy Rose ." I said using quotes and mimicking a fourth grader voice. He started yelling at me, jokingly of course. We spent the rest of the night watching movies, fighting and playing games. At some point we passed out, me on the floor him half on the bed. When I finally woke up, my stomach hurt pretty bad, but not as bad as yesterday. My head was facing the wall, so I sat up and turned around, which made my stomach hurt even worse. When I got up Tommy was already awake and staring at his phone with a blank look. His phone was on in his hand. Something was up.
"Tommy? What's wrong?" I said with my voice shaking.
"Benni." He sounded confused.
"Yeah"
"Someone died last night." I was confused.
"Or should I say... Someone was murdered last night."