Era of Salvation

"Barish, what have you done?" Leandyr's voice was barely above a whisper. No, he had to be hallucinating. Zehra was dead. He'd held her body, still warm but without breath. He'd closed her eyes, dull with no soul to light them. He'd killed for her, avenged her.

The King knelt in front of him, grey eyes dull and solemn, lips turned downwards. "I wanted to tell you all the good news, but I wasn't sure if you'd approve."

The words hit Leandyr like a punch to the gut. "Barish this is madness!" he said through gritted teeth.

"Strange, I thought you of all people would be over the moon about this, little knight. Abydon needs its Queen back. We need our Queen back. In time, you'll understand." With that, Barish rose to his feet and pulled a dagger from his coat, his solemn expression turning sorrowful. "But since you can't help but interfere, I'll need to cripple you."

Leandyr tried to move, but limbs felt as though they were made of wet clay. The Minstrel's Sorrow was just out of his reach, but both his body and mind were still in shock.

"Barish no!" Queen Zehra yelled, the blue light from the crystal pulsating with blinding brightness. "If you hurt him again, I'll never forgive you."

The King stayed his blade, but didn't take his eyes off Leandyr as he backed way. "Very well, my Queen. For you, I will spare him."

"Little knight, please." The desperation in Zehra's voice told Leandyr everything. He needed to stop this.

He didn't want to hurt his King, but it seemed he'd have no choice. He sprang forward, nimble as a cat and drove his shoulder into Barish's midsection. He followed that attack up with locking his arms, hoisting Barish into the air and slamming him onto the floor with enough force to crack the stone.

Leandyr spun and launched himself towards the Yilmaz, but an unseen barrier stopped him half way. He pushed and pounded his fists against it, but it would not give.

Damn it all.

The sound of scraping steel reached Leandyr's ears, and he dodged away just in time to avoid a deadly blow from the King's dagger.

Barish's clothes were crumpled and his hair wild. "

Leandyr dove for the Minstrel's Sorrow, scooping it up and charging at the barrier in one fluid motion. Fast and true, he swung, channeling all his rage and spite into the attack.

A blood-curdling screech rebounded off the walls as the blade carved into the shimmering shield. Energy swelled as the power of the sword fought against the power of the barrier, sending a tremor through the room.

"Come on..." he groaned, sweat dripping down his face to mingle with the blood on his collar. "Come on!" He slammed the blade against the barrier again, and it shattered, creating a burst of energy that knocked the wind out of him. His vision blackened around the edges as he skidded across the floor, shards of rock pricking him through his clothes.

"Leandyr..."

He barely heard the Queen's voice over the ringing in his ears. Each intake of breath made searing pain bloom in his side, and his headache redoubled. But he had to finish this, for his Queen.

"Go! Get out of here!" Barish was yelling. "If you stay the Swordmaster will kill you."

"But my King—"

"Go!"

Colours and shapes wafted along Leandyr's vision, fading into dark rings circling his eyes. His limbs refused to move and, he cursed the limitations of his body. Ayzel needed him. Zehra needed him, yet all he could do was lay there and hope to regain his faculties before Barish did something stupid.