Chapter Two

A/N 12 reads already wow!! I'm honoured! It's only been up since this afternoon! Anyway, I hope you enjoy this chapter, if anyone comments they get a shout out ;) . Be grateful for the little things :) :) .

The next morning Lilla was tired. She didn't get to bed until late and even then she didn't get much sleep. Her legs really hurt. That was the most use they'd had for months!

Kate entered Lilla's bedroom wearing a dressing gown with too short sleeves. "Morning Lilla." She greeted.

Lilla remained silent.

"When I greet you I expect a reply." She said with a disapproving tone.

"Good morning." Lilla mumbled.

Miss Arnett's face went red with fury. "How dare you you insolent child!! I expect 'Morning Miss Arnett' no more, no less!" She screamed.

"Morning Miss Arnett." Lilla stated clearly.

"That's better." Miss Arnett said, and gave Lilla a piece of paper. "I expect you to have memorised this for Midday, we're going out for lunch so you don't have to make it today. If you want to write a letter to anyone you can do, there are pencils and paper on the dresser but your letters will be censored and you have to earn the money for stamps because I'm sorry but I can't just give them away!"

After Kate had left the room Lilla put her head on her hands and sobbed.

She had a sneaking suspicion that she wasn't just here for the holidays.

Her mum seemed like a different person, but then again she never really got to know her mum that much, she was nearly always out.

She sat at the dresser and started to write a letter;

Dear Jessie,

I miss you. Hope you're okay back at Essex. . .

And then she stopped. What else could she say if it was going to be censored? A tear dropped on the page as Lilla let out a disparing cry.

Why did she think this was ever a good idea?!

To take her mind off it, she picked up the schedule her mother had left for her;

0630 - Get off your bed and do housework

0730 - Make breakfast for 8 and get my stuff ready for work (new projects in green file, lunch, fresh whiskey in bottle)

0830 - 1430 - Clean (hover, dust, wash dishes, wash clothes, make beds, organise) and/or study with old textbooks (lounge)

1600 - start to make tea

1700 - serve tea with wine

1800 - after dinner drink

2000 - bedroom (till 0630) .

Lilla did not like the sound of this.

One bit.

Next Door.

"Muuum!" Peter called.

"Yes Peter?" Rachael replied.

Peter came down the stairs holding two parts of a plastic toy truck.

"My car broke." He said mournfully. He was only 3 so he called anything with wheels a car.

"Oh dear!" Rachael exclaimed, kneeling down. "We're gonna have to get the car ambulance!" She said when she had examined it. "Go and tell daddy."

"Okay!" Peter said, running back upstairs.

"So," Dave said as he walked down the stairs a minuet later. "I heard Kate's kid has come to live with her."

"Yeah." Rachael replied. "Actually, it's the girl Jessica's been looking after, you know, my sister Jessica!"

"What an amazing coincidence! But do you think she'll be okay?"

"She'll be fine, anyway, we can check on her. . ."