Chapter 1: "I'm out here wasted."

Nick stumbled down the sidewalk searching for a payphone. His parents didn't have enough money for him to have his own cellphone so he always kept quarters in his pockets in case he needed to use one.

He made his way over to the archaic device and dropped a quarter in the slot. Picking up the receiver he dialed the number to the only person who'd always be there for him.

"Look I know I shouldn't be calling at 3am but I need you to pick me up." Nick held his breath waiting for a response.

He could hear his brother groan on the other line.

"Nick you know I can't do that. I live three states away now."

"Please Joe, I don't want to go home." His voice dropped to a whisper.

"Did you get in another fight with mom and dad?" He asked with concern.

"Yeah."

Arguments were commonplace in the Jonas household. That's all he knew. Angry words being exchanged at all hours. Before Joe had left for college he begged relentlessly to go with him.

"Can't you drive home?" He proposed.

"No I've been drinking." He stole a bottle from his fathers liquor cabinet and left the house. If the music from his headphones couldn't drown out his mothers words then maybe alcohol could.

Having you was a mistake. That's what his mother screamed at him nine hours ago. It had been the final straw, he wanted out. The thought of having to live in that house another minute made him sick to his stomach. He was done being treated like a burden.

"Nick.." Joe sighed. He hated the fact that he had to leave his brother behind especially with them. Those people who were supposed to be their parents. Parents were to take care and love their kids. They were strangers in his eyes now. He beat himself up for weeks riddled with guilt that he wasn't there to protect his baby brother.

"Go home and pack a bag. I'll be there in two days." He needed to get Nick out of that house. The sooner the better.

A/N: woo I wrote this story like two years ago and never realized how short the first part was. Please comment so I'll know if I should continue posting this.