Chapter 4: "New Place Saves Face or So I'm Told."

At some point in your life your the new kid. It's inescapable. Whether you start a new job, school, move to a new place you were the new person. Today Nick Jonas was the new kid at Lake Monroe High School. They were two months into the school year so he had a lot of catching up to do.

He parked his truck, that used to be his brothers in the student parking lot. The iPhone his brother gifted him with vibrated in his pocket. He pulled it out and saw a text from Joe.

"Have a good day!" It read. He smiled to himself. Having someone in his life that cared about how his day went was refreshing. Nick leapt out of the truck and locked it. Slinging his backpack over his shoulder he could feel eyes peering at him.

Nick did his best to ignore them as he entered the building and walked into the administration office. He collected his schedule and waited for his student guide.

A girl began walking towards him. Her auburn hair was in a side braid and she wore ripped blue jeans with an off the shoulder grey top.

"It's Nick right? I'm Miley, I was assigned to show you where your classes are." The girl held out her hand for him.

"Yeah that's me." Nick took her hand in his and returned the shake.  He held out his schedule for her to see.

"Okay Nick lets get started." She flashed a bright smile and began showing him where his classes were.

Miley walked pretty fast so he had to practically jog to keep up with her. She managed to show him where everything was before the first bell rang. He noticed that she talked a lot and was very bubbly. During the tour she said about a dozen hellos to half the students.

She must be the queen bee around here he thought.

"I'll save you a seat at lunch." She told him when the bell rang.

They parted ways and headed to class. Nick found a seat closest to the door and waited for the teacher to begin the lesson.

"I think you should get to know him. It's obvious you like him." Demi reasoned.

They were supposed to be working on a math assignment but Demi had a way of getting them off topic.

"And if you get to know him I can get to know his brother." She sighed dreamily.

Selena rolled her eyes at her. Demi has been crushing on him since he moved into town. That was one of the reasons she was constantly at Selena's house.

"Yeah I like him but I also like Logan." She replied setting her pencil down.

"Logan's been flirting with Miley since we got back from summer break. If he hasn't noticed you now, he never will." Demi's honesty was harsh, she just didn't want her friend to waste her time dreaming of a guy who wouldn't give her the time of day.

Unlike Joe, who did give her the time of day. She'd hang around him when he'd be fixing up a car in his garage.

"I hate when you're right." Selena sighed. She needed to get over her crush on Logan. Spending time with Nick would help her do just that. She also didn't want to be his friend for that reason alone.

Nick stood in the lunch line surveying his options. This school certainly has better food than my last one he thought.  He settled on a cheeseburger and French fries. Scanning the crowded lunchroom he looked for Miley. He spotted her sitting next to a blonde guy. Nick walked over and sat down at an open seat.

"Who's this?" The blonde boy said.

"That's just Nick." She shrugged. "He's new here and I told him he could sit with us."

"Be nice." She whispered in her boyfriends ear.

"Welcome I'm Liam." He extended his hand out for the curly headed boy.

Nick shook his hand. He noticed that Liam's grip tightened. Pulling away Nick knew not to mess with him.

"So you play any sports?" Liam asked.

"No. I play guitar." He plucked several fries in his mouth. Oh yeah the food was a million times better here.

"Ooh you guys over here." Miley waved to someone behind him. He turned around in his seat and froze. It was the girls he met yesterday. He wondered when he'd see them again. The girl named Selena captured his attention.

She was pretty, practically the prettiest girl he's ever seen. Her long dark hair fell past her shoulders. Her glasses stood out to him. Her outfit consisted of a leather jacket, band t shirt, black jeans and combat boots.

They sat down on either side next to him. Nick cleared his throat. "Hey Selena."

She looked over at him smiling. "Hi Nick, how's our school been treating you?"

"Very well actually." He couldn't stop staring and forced his attention back to his burger.

"You two know each other?" Miley asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah we met him yesterday," she pointed at Demi. "He lives across the street from me."

"Oh." Miley grabbed Liam's hand underneath the table. "See you have nothing to worry about." She muttered.

"Is guitar the only instrument you play?" Liam asked.

Nick shook his head. "I play drums and piano too."

"I play guitar and piano as well.We should totally have a jam session." Demi suggested.

"Yeah that'd be fun." Nick agreed. He's never played in front of other people besides his brother. He prayed he wouldn't make a fool of himself.