Chapter Three

Chapter Three

It took me a few minutes to gather up the strength to eat what was left behind by whoever.

The berries were different from the ones I'd seen before. These ones were small and a deep, dark shade of red. Round and fat and when I squeezed it, it was filled with a sweet smelling juice. It smelled a lot like raspberries, but it definitely didn't look like one. More like a mini-cherry. I could spend all day trying to figure out what they were and if they were safe, but if a person put them here, surely they would be safe, right?

Right?

My stomach was cramping up and my throat was dry. I felt like I was going to die of starvation today. I couldn't hold off on trying this if it could save my life. Besides, I was gonna die anyway, so if it killed me now, what the heck? I swallowed, took a deep breath, squeezed my eyes shut and popped one of the berries in my mouth. My teeth broke through the thin soft skin and the juice settled on my tongue, slithered down my throat. It was sweet, just a little tart, like strawberries. I blinked and picked up the rest of the berries, about a handful, and shoved them into my mouth, savoring the taste as I moaned.

Oh, thank god, food!

I kept one berry out of the bunch and stuck it in the pocket of my trunks so I could find more just like them. I picked up the nuts next. To be honest, they looked like almonds. Thin, skinny almonds. I picked those up and took them with me, and a stick, on my way to the fresh water for a drink and a bath. I heard the leaves over head flutter and a bird's wings beat the air, so I stopped to look up, squinting past the sunlight to see that weird ugly bird following me. I grimaced and moved on, keeping my head low in case that weirdo was trying to crap on me.

That would be just my luck.

I could just die under a pile of bird crap.

C'est la vie. Mom, life sucks.

I swallowed hard at that sudden blow to my chest that actually brought me to a stop.

I was never going to see my mother again. Not that I saw a lot of her when I wasn't trapped on an island in the middle of nowhere, but I did see her. I could go to her if I needed to. And now I couldn't. The last thing I said to her was see you in a while, crocodile. Oh god, I left my mother with that as my final words. If she put that on my headstone, I was gonna be so ticked.

I sniffed back another onset of tears, taking deep breaths as I moved through the trees, keeping an ear out for that creepy roar. I moved slowly and quietly to avoid being heard and crept toward the spring. I came to the tree line and looked around, up and down the water to make sure that weird roaring creature was nowhere nearby. Once it was safe, I emerged from the trees and quickly went to the water. I set my stick down and ate the last couple of nuts before pausing to look around at the trees warily.

No one was there, except the ugly ass bird perched on a branch nearby, snuggled down in its fat body.

If there were people, what if they were watching me? I looked around and around, turning in several circles, listening, waiting, but I couldn't feel anything, couldn't see anything, or hear anything, except the birds and insects. Not even a creepy twig snap. I decided to move quickly and stripped off my clothes, taking them with me under the small waterfall that poured water down on my head. I dodged a couple of small fish that seemed to get swept into the mess and they just fell into the spring at my feet and swam away in fright. I rinsed off my clothes and washed the salt and sand off my skin before putting my clothes back on and grabbing my stick from the side of the spring.

I turned to see that the bird was still there, watching me like a creep. I frowned at him.

"Why don't you fly away?" I asked. It just blinked at me. I sighed and shook my head, moving along the water, deciding to follow it in hopes of finding whoever had left me the snack. It wasn't enough to fill me up, but it was enough to prolong another set of hunger pains. I kept my stick gripped tightly in my hands, even though I wasn't stupid enough to believe that it would protect me from whatever had roared earlier.