Chapter Five

Chapter Five

The rough blindfold left my face, pulling out a couple strands of hair, and my eyes were assaulted by blinding sunlight before it faded and I stared up at two men in front of me.

Hot damn.

They were practically twins. Same long noses, same almond shaped eyes the color of coffee, nice kissable lips. And ripped from head to toe. The kind of men that made me quiver inside. They both had their eyes ringed in the same black stuff that was around Mika's eyes. The first one wore his long black hair freely down his back, save for a trio of thin braids intertwined with gold thread dangling from near his left temple. He wore a thin silk looking white cloth that went around his waist, hanging long in the back and tied in the front. He wore a bright red sash around his waist as well with a few things tucked into it. He wore numerous necklaces, bracelets, and anklets. All made of braided leather, stringed beads.

The man beside him, his twin wore his long hair in a loose braid over his shoulder with his bangs swept back from his face. He wore the same odd cloth thing around his waist that the other man wore, except this one's was made of leather with a pair of shorts beneath it. He, too, wore tons of jewelry and even had a stone bead pierced into his left nostril, and along his ears.

Neither of them said anything, just stared at me like they were trying to comprehend what they were seeing, and I took the chance to look beyond them and my eyes widened.

I had been expecting a primitive village made of sticks.

I was dead wrong.

It was like some kind of ancient utopia! Behind the villagers were the mountains I'd seen before, but this was the other side of the mountains, the side I hadn't seen. Homes made of stones and wood and mug ran along the side of the mountain with boardwalks and stone paths leading to all the homes. There were several more homes down on the ground at the base of the mountain and one large home just beyond them made of stone and mud, but beautifully designed with red and white paints and carvings from trees and stove. The homes were beautiful too, very neat and simple, yet the shape of them... Most of them were made in standing L-shapes. The homes on the ground looked like they also provided services, like a woman who was standing with her children near a place decorated heavily with materials and jewelry. And a man standing near rows of very sharp weapons.

And all the villagers shared the same features. Black hair, dark eyes, and skin tones ranging from sunkissed to caramel. They wore colorful clothing in similar styles. The women wore halter tops, short dresses that laid open in the back or short skirts made of woven leaves. The men were shirtless and wore a range of pants, shorts, or the odd skirt thing that the two men in front of me wore.

It was like some kind of ancient civilization!

And I was an intruder, I realized as I looked back at the two men, who stared down at me. I swallowed hard, nervous as the first man with gold braided in his hair murmured something to his brother, who rolled his eyes at him and made that popping sound with his lips that Mika had made at me yesterday. This resulted in his brother glaring at him before Mika spoke up angrily from the crowd and I turned to see him running past Tikuko, who had tried to hold him back.

As if that was possible.

Mika ran to the first man and slapped him in the arm, making the man scowl and yank his arm back to scold him, but Mika started yelling at him. The older men appeared less than amused and the crowd of people seemed to ignore them as if this were a common occurance and were too busy staring at me intently, like I was some kind of new display at a museum and it made my stomach churn.

The man with the braid finally grabbed Mika up under the arms and lifted him with incredible ease into his arms. Mika writhed and made a fuss, pushing at his face while the man handed him off to Tikuko, who had no better luck trying to hold Mika. The men turned back to each other, muttering together before the first one turned to me.