Introduction

This story is written as part of a trio of short stories concerning the archetypal figures of the Maiden, Mother, and Crone. These figures have been represented across time, and in many cultures in goddesses and beings, sometimes as one three-fold figure and other times as three.  But in all cases, she represents different times in a woman's life. 

This story, the first of three concerns the youngest of the three: the "Maiden". The "Maiden" represents young women, ranging from teenagers to young adults to the time a woman becomes a mother. She is most associated with innocence and the purity we all enter the world possessing. Often, she is tied to representations of the Heavens and the waxing moon. 

Next in age is the "Mother". The "Mother" represents women between the Maiden and Crone stages. The "Mother" is the bearer of children and a source of comfort to all in her life. She is often associated with both the full moon as well as the Earth. As a bearer of children, she is also a symbol of fertility. For this series, the "Mother" story has been written by MinaParkes, please feel free to check it out. 

The oldest of the three is the "Crone", a symbol of the wisdom gained through the experience of life. And yet, she can also be a terrifying figure associated with death and the end of life. She often protects and guides those that are younger than her, sharing knowledge to be passed on through generations. For this series, the "Crone" story has been written by AnnaQuin07, please feel free to give her story a read.

All three of these stories have been written as stand alone stories as well as being part of this collaborative effort. So feel free to read one, two, or all three. And as always, please enjoy.