Chapter Fifteen

Jonathan and Evelyn stood stock still in surprise, just failing to cover the flash of dismay that crossed their faces. It seemed their little holiday was over. 

Lord D'Anvers greeted them both with a knowing smile. "Ah, there you are. I thought I'd come up and join you for a few days, the dust and noise were simply unbearable. I've given most of the servants leave to return home while the house is in such disrepair. The stonemason says the top storey will have to go, but he thinks we can save the bottom two floors. He'll have a better idea once the ruined part is completely demolished."  

He turned to his son, "Evelyn, I've ordered an early supper for you. It's waiting for you in your room if you'd like to go ahead." Evelyn's hunger after a day's sightseeing made it easy for him to accept the dismissal without arguing, and he disappeared quickly into his room. 

A quick glance around, showed Jonathan that his lordship had made himself at home in their absence. His toiletries were on the dressing table and Jonathan's own things had been moved to the dressing room next door. A small truckle bed had been set up inside with his bag at the foot.  

"I knew you wouldn't mind, Jonathan," smiled Lord D'Anvers. "It's just for a few nights. I thought you'd prefer that, to sharing with ... Evelyn." His eyes danced. 

Jonathan pressed his lips together. "Of course, my Lord."  

D'Anvers was still speaking, "I've ordered dinner for us to be brought up at eight o'clock. After that, I'll be going out for the evening, I've got a masquerade ball to attend." He dropped his eyes for a second as he slipped the driving cape from his shoulders, then added casually, "Perhaps you'd care to accompany me, Jonathan? Jenkins came up with me in the coach. He could keep an eye on Evelyn tonight, not that he really needs it at his age." 

A masquerade ball! He had never been to a ball. The only dances Jonathan had attended were small country affairs. Jonathan knew he should decline politely, but instead, found himself spluttering, "I couldn't, I don't have a costume, my Lord." 

"That's no matter!" came the cheerful assurance. "Just put on evening dress and wear a domino mask. That's what I'll be doing. I'm sure I've got a spare domino here somewhere," he added, searching through his bags. 

Triumphantly, he held up a small black mask, dangling from one finger. "Here you are!" 

An hour later, Jonathan was squeezed into the dressing room, pulling on his smartest fawn breeches, in truth, the only pair he owned. On top, he wore the blue silk shirt and black jacket that Lord D'Anvers had given him, and tied a clean blue cravat around his throat. He brushed his hair until it shone and peered into the looking glass to see what he looked like. He smiled involuntarily. He thought he looked all the crack, if he did say so himself. 

He hesitated before opening the door which lead straight into Lord D'Anver's bedchamber. What if his lordship was still dressing? His face went hot at the thought. Well, one thing was certain, he couldn't stay here all night. Taking a deep breath, he rattled the handle noisily and opened the door. 

Lord D'Anvers had his chin in the air, putting the finishing touches to a snow white cravat that was twice the size of the one Jonathan had ventured to use. Except for the cravat, he wore his customary all black. His shirt was fine silk and his boots were polished so that Jonathan could see his face in them. Jonathan held his breath until his lordship finished the last few folds of his perfect creation, and turned to face him. 

D'Anvers smiled, then frowned. "You've made a mull of that!" he stated. "Come here!" 

He drew a fresh white silk cravat out of his own case, then plucked the offending garment from Jonathan's throat and tossed it on the floor. He took Jonathan firmly by the chin. "Hold still!" he ordered.  

Jonathan froze. He could feel D'Anvers' strong fingers gripping his chin, each pressure point setting a small fire beneath his skin. He felt warm breath caressing his face as D'Anvers concentrated on tying the cravat properly. Their mouths were so close ... he could, he could almost ... 

"There! That's better." D'Anvers released him and stepped back with a nod of satisfaction.  

Then his expression changed. His eyes widened and his eyebrows rose.  

Jonathan swallowed and allowed the domino to drop from his fingers to the floor. Hastily he bent down to retrieve it. What had he nearly done? What had the other man seen in his face? What on earth was he thinking? He had done nothing at all - there was absolutely nothing for Sebastian to see! 

By the time he straightened up, D'Anvers had stepped back and was making a point of straightening his sleeves. If he was breathing a little faster than usual, neither man drew attention to it.