Chapter Two

"For the love of everything, Madison, shut up.

Madison had been bugging Gabriella for the past twenty minutes about what happened after second period. Even though Gabriella repeatedly told her all they did was discuss poetry, she did not believe a word of it. She could be so hard-headed sometimes. 

"I just don't believe you. Pretty girl plus attractive man in the same room equals more than just lame poetry talk." 

It was taking all of her self control not to just hit Madison. She was truly getting on her nerves more than usual, and it usually takes a lot to get on her nerves. 

"How many times do I have to tell you that I am not interested in the hot new teacher before you get it through your thick head," Gabriella exclaimed, putting quotes around "hot." 

"I don't bel-" 

"So, you think I am hot, do you, Gabby?" 

Gabriella turned and the new teacher was walking down the hall behind them with a smirk on his face. She flushed red and silently cursed herself for saying that. Madison smirked and Gabriella stayed silent for a moment.

"No, I do not," she told him matter-of-fact. Madison snorted and coughed, which sounded oddly like the word "liar." 

"Well, you are one of the few then," he responded lightly. 

"Don't let the attention get to your head. Big egos aren't attractive in the slightest bit," she told him. She turned on her heel and began walking out of the school doors and to her car. She just did not understand why no one believed her when she told them she didn't find him hot.

Okay, maybe I do find him slightly attractive, she thought to herself. She inwardly groaned and hit her head on her steering wheel. She can't find her teacher attractive, that's just weird. She drove home and sang along to The Fray on the radio. 

"Good afternoon, honey. How was your day?" her mother asked as she walked through the door. 

"It was okay. It was mostly the same as usual. We got a new teacher, and he likes poetry just as much as me!" 

"That is wonderful, sweetie. I know how much you love poetry, so maybe now you will have someone to discuss it with in school!" 

Her mother knew how much her daughter loved talking about poetry, but she never got into it, so she couldn't discuss it with her. Gabriella's father loved poetry as well, but he worked a lot, so she never saw him much. 

"Is dad home?" Gabriella asked with hope lacing her voice. She loved her father very much, and enjoyed spending time with him any chance she got. Her mother called her a daddy's girl, but she really did not mind. 

"Surprisingly, he is," she told her, smiling. "He's in the living room." 

"DADDY!!!" Gabriella ran to the living room and jumped onto the couch next to her father, who laughed at his daughter's behavior. He opened his arms up and she snuggled up on his chest and smiled. 

"Hi, sweetheart. How are you today?"

"I'm okay today, daddy." 

"How do you like the idea of you and me going out for a daddy-daughter day? We can get ice cream and go to the park just like we used to." 

Gabriella's eyes lit up and she nodded her head vigorously. Doing things like that with her father was something she always enjoyed. She didn't get time with her father much anymore, so she took any chance she could get. 

"Go get ready, then." 

She ran up to her room and quickly changed out of her school clothes into something more comfortable: shorts, a a grey t-shirt, and a pair of flip flops. Sliding her phone into her pocket, she quickly made her way to the living room where her father was waiting for her. 

"Ready?" he asked her, smiling. She nodded and they waved at her mother and headed out the door, and to his car.