Chapter Three

"So, Dad, how has work been treating you?"

Gabriella and her father sat across from each other in a small booth in their favorite diner on the outskirts of town. As they ate, the sun began to set, falling behind the trees towering overhead. Colors spread across the sky, and tinted everything in view a faint pinkish-gold. The sky was the canvas and the clouds the painter.

"Work has been very tiresome over the past few weeks. Not as many people are sending their works into us, so we are not getting as much business as we used to."

"I'm sorry, dad. Maybe things will pick back up soon."

Her father sighed and pushed his plate away. "I sure hope so, honey. I sure hope so."

As they ate, Gabriella could not help but think about how different things were now compared to a year and a half ago. At that time, she and her family were new to the town, coming from seven hours away. Her father got offered a new position at a different branch of the publishing company he worked for. Gabby wasn't too thrilled at the thought of leaving her home or friends behind. She had spent so many years in her home that the thought of leaving everything behind was out of the question. Moving day was hard for everyone, especially her. Her last day of school was spent crying and spending every second with her best friend any chance she got to. Now, she was lucky if her best friend spoke to her once a month.

Once she and her father were done with their dinner, he paid for their meals and they headed to the car.

"I had fun tonight, dad. I'm glad we got to do this," Gabriella told her father.

"I'm glad we got to as well, sweetie."

Within 20 minutes, Gabriella and her father reached their house. She made conversation with her mother for a few moments, then made her way to her bedroom.

With thoughts of her day occupying her mind, she fell asleep at last.