chapter Two

Its been a week now, since my parent spoke to me about the sudden marriage interest by the  elders in the kingdom. And it has been bothering my thoughts heavily. I have been in my side of the house in the palace. I just needed the space to think. Other days, I'm usually in my room in the main palace. I have always find comfort being alone, whether I'm writing poems while listening to music in my room or reading. I love my privacy a lot but today seems different as I have been pacing in my room  thinking of who to share my thoughts with. This sudden marriage request from the elders seems so sudden and strange. My sister is 15years of age, very young and I can't just start telling her what is happening or the sudden news brought by the elders even though I love her. She will listen but will not understand a word I say to her, just the way I'm finding it difficult to understand myself. One of the perks of being a royalty, is that one is limited to less or no friends at all. I have only two friends. My best friend and one of my male friend jide. Jide is a mixed tribe, Igbo and Yoruba. He's also an option but according to him 'I need to hustle'. He hated the life of royalty. The former king was wicked and full of control before a strange illness took him away. A week after the king was buried my dad was made the king. Unfortunately, the former king had no successor to take over the throne. Jide lost his mother and the father was banished from the kingdom. Jides father was wrongfully accused of killing his wife and they refused him to leave the kingdom with his son. Till this day jide has no whereabout of his father neither his fathers hometown. The father has always been in the mothers community because he loved the mother and wanted to stay close to her hometown and learn everything about her cultures and tradition. But all came to an end when the father was accused and every properties was taken away from jide from his maternal uncles. Jide has been finding it difficult fend himself and he has refused any help from me except its very necessary, he still feels threatened not in a bad though, by gestures but we became friends when my broke down and he was carrying a gollon of water on his. He stopped to help take a look at the car and it was fixed immediately.  While the fixing the car, I got to know him more. He told me how finished his secondary school and learnt how to fixed a car from his father before his father was banished and has struggling since then. He also said, he was was staying with a mother's friend. Whenever I'm bored, I go to him and he finds a way to cheer me up.
But Endurance is the only person I can think of right now but the attention I will receive outside the palace is one of things I hate. while my other friends will be happy for the attention. Probably the princess has come pay them a visit and will be happy i brought little gifts to them and that's the reasons i limit my visits to them except a letter is written to me by one of them needing help instead of them going direct to the king as they should . 'Maybe I should call her to come over since I can't leave the palace without the maids and guards following me around. I thought.
As a princess I wasn't as bright as other kids. I was small, timid, shy and very quiet and still quiet too, always having conversation with myself and that is how met my best friend endurance.
I was still very young when I told my parent I wanted to attend public school but then I didn't how public school works. Thinking I could easily be friends with anybody, one day I walked to some group girls and I asked them if I could join them in whatever game they were. They said I couldn't join because they were complete in number already. I walked away and sat down in lonely corner and cried myself. I wasn't even sure why I cried but I felt like one wanted to be my friend or some. I easily cry when I'm being pushed around for no apparent reason. Suddenly, Endurance ran to tap me that day but she was just playing and she broke the rules of the game played by her other friends. I looked up at her and she says it my turn. I was confused at first but join anyway.  that's how we became friends. Ever then, she has been by my side. Endurance was quite the rebellious kid then, but as she grows up, maturity and responsibility is becoming of her. Always fighting anyone that picks on her or siblings. She doesn't mind if one is an elder or not but anymore. She just doesn't care but when she's really pushed, she doesn't mind beating one to a pulp.
I haven't heard from her since I came home for the holiday from school. She's yet to be school. According to her, her parent are still saving for school and they have refused help from me or my parent. But I still send food stuffs to them time to time.
I picked up my phone to call her but I don't know if she will busy or not. I guess I have to try. *ring, ring ring*....

" Hello" she answered on the third ring. "Hi i said but I don't know why I'm nervous. We've been friends since childhood. Why am I suddenly nervous I thought. Maybe the fact I've have not called her but this sudden of marriage sprung up on me. Has occupied my mind lately. But that's not an excuse for not calling her earlier either. Hmmm I sighed
" hello, nma are u there???..
"Yes yes, sorry.
" oh OK.
"How have you been and mama, papa and everyone too?" I asked at once.
"They are fine. They've been asking after you since you went back to school. They missed you" she said
"Awww, that's nice of them. I missed them too but I'm back. I came back since last week." I said the last part, hoping she didn't hear. Hopefully she won't be angry for informing her now. I smiled sheepishly to myself.
" you are just telling me now"! She shouted over the phone...I had move the phone away a little from my ears.
"Sorry!!".. I apologized.
" can you come over plssss " I begged. Trying to change the conversation and avoid her asking further questions.
" OK. When?" She asked
" Now, if you don't mind" I said.
"OK. I will come when I finish sweeping the compound. In twenty minutes, I should be there OK".
" OK
" my regards to mama and papa" I said to her. I hung up on the phone.
I sat down at the edge of my bed while I took a deep breath. Finally, I will have someone to talk to.

****
I have been trying to update this chapter. But i finally got the time today, as Sunday is always my somehow free day. Thanks to those that read my story. I really a appreciate it a lot. Pls your vote and comments even corrections will be appreciated.
Thank you.