Prologue

Writhia, 5017

I would never forget the image of Writhia when I left that night. Snow was cascading down, leaving a blanket of glittery white over the steep mountains surrounding the castle. If it weren't for the blazing fires in every direction, glass breaking, and screams filling the air, it would have been a peaceful sight.

I'd used almost every last inch of control I had, harnessing my Gift to escape my prison. Judging by the picture of chaos behind me, I had succeeded.

My feet pounded into the ground as I raced toward the transport I planned to steal. Stay calm, I told myself. You're almost there. The mantra played repeatedly in my head.

My daughter's tiny arms encircled my neck while her head lay against my tear soaked shirt.

"It's okay, Noelani," I said as she clung to my chest and sobbed, upset by the sounds of destruction echoing in the distance. I started singing quietly, in the hopes that it would soothe her—and myself.

"I had a toy Ferris wheel;

round and round it went.

I can't tell you the many-a-times

one asked could it be lent.

When the King's daughter came to visit,

all for the sake of my toy Ferris wheel,

she asked if we could strike a deal."

I finally reached the garage where the transports were. Dozens of them aligned the wall, ready for use.

I ran to one and placed my palm against the scanner. There was the sound of a click as the transport came unlocked and I yanked the door open.

I tried to smile at Noelani and pushed some of the blonde hair out of her red eyes. Hurriedly, I tried to buckle her inside as I continued singing softly.

"She asked: May I have your toy Ferris wheel?

Round and round it goes.

If you say yes—which would be best—

I'll rid you of your foes!"

My Gift tingled in awareness and I sensed the guard as soon as he entered the garage. As I turned to face him, he pulled a blaster from its holster. A sword and a few daggers hung from his hip.

"I am to bring you back alive, but I will use force if I must."

I smiled sweetly at him and, even though I felt my strength ebbing, I trudged on, tugging deep within, forcing him to turn the weapon on himself. "You dare threaten me with my child present?" I asked, my voice barely a whisper. The guard's eyes met mine and, though he didn't show it, I knew he was afraid.

"I'm sorry, but no one will get in the way of her safety."

When a whoosh of breath left his lips, and the body collapsed to the ground, I felt no remorse. I turned back to my crying child and finished the song I started:

"I said: So lovely a princess,

never before did I see;

you can have the toy Ferris wheel,

as long as you marry me!"

My heart thudded rapidly as I climbed into the transport and took off as fast as I dared. We were so close. So close to safety. If I could just make it to Mais—to the Black Hallow Forest.