chapter sixteen.

Chapter Sixteen.

SULLIVAN waits for Arthur to break up with his girlfriend.

He hasn't been counting (it's been fourteen days, eleven hours, thirty-five minutes and—), but he knows that there has been an infinite number of opportunities for the blonde to do it. Yet, he hasn't.

The brunette is confirmed to be a cynical person by his wishes — it is also confirmed that he does not give a damn. Because every single time he sees Arthur's hands planted anywhere on Zara's porcelain skin, his mind just redirects back to the day in the supply closet, when Arthur's hands were somewhere on his body, and he finds himself pissed off at the world all over again. How can someone just pretend as if they have been a saint all their lives when they sit and look at the sight of their sins every fucking day? He sits at the table, watching them and wanting to scream at the top of his lungs that Arthur does not care for Zara as much as he says he does, that their King Arthur is not as holy as he portrays himself to be. He tries to put on a brave face, tries to play the role of a supportive best friend, but he fails.

Sully has never been one to play nice, anyways.

So for the remainder of the school year, he decides that he's not going to sit around and pout about how his best friend can't make a decision to save his life. If Arthur doesn't care about his feelings, then neither will he.

The last day of junior year comes with ease and ends the same way. The half day is more of a day to fuck around with time than to actually do anything productive. Before they can even blink, the day is over and everyone talks about their outrageous plans they have for the evening to celebrate the end of their nine month prison sentence. The Round Table, including Arthur, say they're going to a party and invite SJ to come along with them. Though, he doesn't ask for details because he already knows that—

"I'm not going."

His answer is met with groans of protests and displeasure. "Oh come on, Maxwell!" Teddy complains, shoving the younger one's shoulder playfully. "Don't be such a buzzkill, this is the youngest you'll ever be!"

"Which is exactly why I'm being wise about my decisions," Sullivan says. They all walk out to their vehicles except for SJ, who has to wait on Jude to come pick him up since his car was in the shop. "I'm a homing device for trouble, if you didn't know."

Franklin rebuts, "We know. That's why we like you around so much!"

They all laugh, but it is the truth. Despite his (many) bad qualities, they all focus on the good things he has  to offer. Well, either that, or they're just lying so they can avoid having to feel the wrath of Arthur.

SJ chuckles. He shoves his hands in his pockets and shrugs his slim shoulders. "I don't know what to tell ya, fellas. Can I rain-check?"

From underneath Arthur's arm, Zara scoffs. "Don't tell me that you're going to cancel on us again."

"Then don't ask." He's not sorry for getting snappy, and he doesn't think he ever will be.

"We're starting to think that you actually don't like hanging out with us," she starts. "You've bailed on us for the past three weeks, SJ. At this point, we're skin and bones waiting for rain!"

The next sentence is what separates Sullivan from the rest of his peers, shows him that maybe he isn't any different from his family after all. Because everyone else in his circle knows that this is playful banter, that you're supposed to engage with your peers with the same mannerisms. To every normal person he knows, this is what conversation is; to him, however, this is a challenge. He may be reading too much into it — as he has a habit of doing so — but Zara is telling him that either he joins them now or never, that everyone who resides in King Arthur's court is present at all times or they give up their spot. With the sweet Virginian accent that's dripped in honey, her silk voice and words carry a certain hostility that he has always been looking for in her.