chapter twenty-three.

Chapter Twenty-Three.

BEING the cynical asshole he is, Sullivan has always loathed the time of year to celebrate Independence Day.

"The colonials were racist, genocidal bigots. Can't believe you're makin' me take part in celebrating homicidal white men," he complains in the passenger seat of Arthur's Mercedes, arms folded stubbornly and eyes covered with sunglasses to hide his slight agitation.

"I hope you realize that we're using Independence Day as an excuse to drink like we're getting our legs amputated and not in celebration of corrupt American history." 

"Still, I'm enabling this behavior."

 Arthur laughs. "Well I'm thankful that you stepped off your social justice soap box away for a weekend to spend time with me." Sully huffs out a spoiled whatever, but when the blonde boy sets his hand on his slender thigh and gives it a generous squeeze, his face softens and his complaints dissipate. 

He asks, "So why did I have to ride with you?"

"Because if you would've brought your vehicle, you would've tried to escape in the middle of the night." 

Point taken.

"Still. You could've let Zara ride with you." You know, to begin to think about how to soften the blow to that cretin. 

"She's riding up with the cheerleaders, and the boys collected a few of our other friends for the party tomorrow night," he looks over at Sully's unimpressed face, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the brunette is not happy with this arrangement. Because Sully knows that just because he's become kumbaya with Chandler over the past couple of days doesn't mean he'll be able to have the same feelings towards the rest of them, despite what he's learned about them all. Arthur sees the pout on his face and gently grabs his chin in his hand, bringing him over and pressing a kiss to the corner of his mouth. "Calm down, lovey. I'm not gonna let you sit and have a terrible time this weekend. We will be fine," Arthur reassures him quietly.

Sully still pouts, but he leans in for another kiss he can steal away before the torment begins. "We better be okay," he says as they turn down the driveway of the lake house that they rented out for the weekend. 

The size of the place is enough to accommodate the whole Regis High football team, and he's almost positive that this venue is just meant for the murders of their livers. As Arthur shuts off the car, he climbs out and glances over his shoulder to see six cars barreling in afterwards, a less-than enthusiastic groan leaving his lips. 

Teddy is the first to pile out of the first truck, a hearty laugh booming from his chest. "C'mon SJ, be a little happier to see us than that. We're about to turn you into a man!" He hops out the back of the truck and directs a few guys Sully has never seen before to put the several kegs they're carrying with them into the house. It takes three giant steps for him to approach the blonde and brunette and envelope the two of them into a bear hug, squeezing their shoulders. "Maybe this weekend we'll be able to put some hair on his bird chest, huh, Arthur?" 

Arthur looks up at him, and thanks to the setting sun behind them, Sully can see the mischief glinting in his blue eyes before he hears the blonde reply, "Maybe we'll get him into some trouble."

"Hopefully not without me." It takes everything in Sullivan to not want to turn around and tell Zara to fuck off once she comes into his peripheral. She looks as gorgeous as whatever, which is infuriating to say the least. He has to turn around to roll his eyes when he hears Arthur and Zara kiss each other. Shimmying Teddy's hand off his shoulder he grabs his backpack out of the passenger seat and slings it over a skinny shoulder.