The Happy Project • m.c

Prologue

Carmel sighed as she watched her friends dancing mindlessly to Wasted on the dance floor, their arms swinging as they laughed loudly. Rubbing her eyes with her hands, she closed them as she heard one of her friends' walk over to the booth.

"Come on, Carmel," Poppy slurred, grasping her arm and attempted to pull her up from the seat, "Let's go dance!"

"No," Carmel shook her head as she wrangled her arm out of her tight, clammy grip. She grabbed her Topshop clutch off the bar counter, "I think I'm going to go home now. You guys can stay as long as you want, okay?"

"But Carmel," Emily tugged her arm, "You had a bad day and we brought you here to cheer you up."

This caused her to roll her eyes, 'Bad day' may as well be a complete understatement. Savannah offered her a glass only for her to reject it with a shake of her head.

Carmel never wanted to go in the first place. She just wanted to stay at home, crying at what should’ve been now that she got kicked out of her apartment due to her breakup with her annoying boyfriend. Other than that, she got her car towed and she barely had the money to get it back. To sum it up, her life was tumbling down within the month.

“Come on, just dance with us,” Savannah whined, her visions were already blurry, “Forget about your damn problems, it’ll help.”

Carmel sighed and shrugged, “Just not tonight guys. Maybe next time?”

Poppy rolled her eyes, “Fine. I’m already too drunk anyway.”

They all moved through the stuffy crowd as they were trying to reach the front door where they could exist. The music was incredibly loud and you could even hear the booming sound few blocks away. The trip back home was silent with Savannah and Poppy screaming the lyrics to Tiesto’s Wasted aloud in the car. Emily already passed out on the passenger seat and with Carmel being the only sober one, she had to drive.

Carmel appreciated the effort from her friends though. They knew the month had been tough on Carmel. She had things easy until her break up with her boyfriend. The gang thought a simple night out would get her to forget about her problems but instead, it didn’t do much of a miracle and got her three friends dead drunk.

“We’re here, guys.” Carmel sighed as she pulled up to the house that she now shared with her friends. It was located in a suburban neighbourhood ten minutes away from town. It was quiet, until of course, Savannah quoting Jack from Titanic in a very audible tone and caused the lights from the house across the street to light up.

“Okay, I think we need to get in fast.” Emily suggested – even though she was drunk, she knew what to do.

They all walked up the stone pathway and up to the porch where the door was opened by Ashton, Emily’s boyfriend. He sometimes stay over but regularly, he would be with at his own house with his long-time friend, Luke. The TV was still on, tuning into MTV’s Girl Code. He must’ve had switching channels to channels that night if he ended up watching Girl Code.

“Drunk, drunk,” Ashton stood to the side and nodded at Savannah and Poppy who came in. Emily stepped in and Ashton sighed, “You are definitely drunk.”

“Shut up, you piece of adorable shit.” Emily grumbled and walked into the living room where she slammed down asleep on the couch while Savannah slowly made her way up the staircase singing to Celine Dion’s hit song for Titanic. Poppy headed to the toilet, throwing up into the toilet bowl. All the alcoholic shots were coming back up.

“And you look like you did before you went. I guess this whole girls’ night out didn’t work?” Ashton raised an eyebrow as Carmel walked in with a lousy step every time. He closed the door and locked it.

“Nope but I appreciate the effort.” She mumbled and walked into the living room.

“Well, I hope everything turns out fine tomorrow.” He said and walked over to sleeping Emily. He leaned over, “Do you want to go bed now?”

Emily mumbled a bunch of slurs, unconsciously whacking Ashton’s face. He rolled his eyes and carried her in his arms, walking up the staircase and walking around the obstacle of Celine Dion stuck in Savannah’s body. Carmel sighed at the sight. Just a month ago, her boyfriend would’ve done the same thing if she was the one passed out on the couch.

Although her three friends were drunk and probably were too drunk to even realise, they were happy. Well, happier than Carmel will ever be. Carmel herself would’ve agreed because not only the love of her life broke up with her and kicked her out of a house – not just a house, a home – she lost her part time job as a shopkeeper at some overprice retail store and lost her car to some towing company. Even worse, she could possibly never get it back due to the invisible amount of money in her bank account.

All Carmel wanted was to be happy and at that time, nobody seemed to make it happen.

Vote, add it to your library because who wouldn’t want a Mikey fanfiction?