Introduction

Most of the world is blissfully unaware of the dreadful drought in Cape Town. It's the worst drought we've had in over a century. I know that other places are also having problems with water, but the situation is truly grim here.

The dams are at below 30% and it's mid summer. The main rain usually only starts in late May or June. The city is building infrastructure for alternative water sources (groundwater and desalination), but that takes time.

 The city is building infrastructure for alternative water sources (groundwater and desalination), but that takes time

That's where Cape Town is located. It's been listed as one of the most beautiful cities in the world. It truly is, I just wish we had more water.

Just a note here, the water situation does NOT mean that Trump's rather offensive comment about African nations is correct. There is still plenty of good here: beautiful nature, interesting people, diverse cultures. The list goes on.

Currently the daily water allowance per person is 87 litres- that's 17,7 gallons for all you Americans. From 1 February, however that will be cut to 50 litres (13,2 gallons) and when the dams reach 13.5% capacity, the taps will be turned off (not for critical services such as hospitals and clinics) and we will have to queue for 25 litres (6.6 gallons) of water a day. And no, pets don't get an allowance. Luckily (contrary to surprisingly popular opinion) no one has pet lions or antelope or anything. Those drink a lot.

This is not something out of a SciFi story, this is the truth. Value water while you have it and save wherever you can. When the taps run dry, that's when the Hunger (or rather Thirst) Games begin. To all my fellow Capetonians: May the odds be ever in your favour.

I hope you decide to join me on this crazy (and rather terrifying) journey. I'd like to raise awareness of not only the situation here, but of a incredibly valuable resource most take for granted.

Tell me what you think, and what you want to know about. I have some ideas, but don't know what everyone else (if anyone even reads this) cares about.