Dear Skylar

This is an entry for CosmicThunder's My Dirty Little Secret Contest.

        The lights flashed on. All I could see were the walls surrounding me. I turned around and noticed a picture. I knew who it was of. I noticed the bed I was on. I even noticed to color of the walls. Glitter Gold. We had picked it out together when she moved into this house. I knew where I was, and Why I was here. I was in Kristy's room, and she wanted to kill me. I heard a pounding on the door and I screamed, although I knew it wouldn't help. I was going to die.

        Suddenly, I woke up. It was just a nightmare. Ever since the day when Kristy tried to kill me, I've had nightmares. My parents took me to therapy, but it didn't help. I only hope that someday, the nightmares will stop. I heard a knock at my door and I froze. It only turned out to be my mom, asking what was wrong. 

        "Another nightmare," I tell her.

        "Oh, sweetie. Are you alright?" She asked. 

        "Yes, I am fine. I just... need to cool off." I respond.

       "Okay, I'm in my roon if you need anything."

        I stop her from leaving. "Wait, Mom?"

        "Yes?" 

        "How about hot cocoa?" I request. Mom always makes hot cocoa when I'm feeling down. It's a little tradition we have.

        "Of course. I'll be right back." And with that, she is gone.

        Kristy won't hurt you, Kristy won't hurt you, Kristy won't hurt you. I repeat over and over again. The mere thought that she would do anything now is ridiculous. I don't know why I am so scared. Because she hurt you the first time. OkayI am talking to myself now. 

        A few minutes later, my mom knocks on the door and I leat her in. She has two mugs, so that means she'll be staying. "I hope you don't mind that I put some coffee in. I don't want you doing bakc to sleep just to be restless. And it's five in the morning, so you've gotta get ready for school."

"No problem, it's fine. Coffee's good."

"Oh, and Skylar. You got a letter yesterday, and I didn't read it. But maybe your dad did. I don't know."

"Uh, can I see it then?" I realize that sounded a little rude when my mom frowns. "Please?" I add.

She leaves again and shuffles down the hall to her room, returning a minute later with a pink envolope. 

"I didn't know it was Valentine's Day, Skylar. do you know anything about this?"

The truth was, I didn't. Who would be sending me love letters when everyone thought that I was crazy, for telling that story about Kristy stabbing me?

I shake my head, just as confused as she is. I open the envelope and see that the letter is ripped up, eache scrap of paper having a message. I read them all out loud.

It will work

This time, next time

stay strong

C-O-W-A-R-D

you lose

i win

i loved you

you knew too much

I'M TRYING AGAIN.

I. AM. COMING.

I can't help snickering after I read that one. The last one. Whoever this is, they are coming at last. They are trying to kill me. Who? I was so excited that I forgot to read who the letter is from. It is initialed. 

K.T.

"Kristen Taylor?" I ask, looking at my mom in horror.