Amended Rights

It began with the repeal of the right to free speech. As a government mouthpiece explained:

"While speech is a right - not a privilege - we all agree that so-called 'wrong speech' is not. Words are powerful things. Their inconsiderate use can hurt, wound and even kill.

"We understand that wrong speech should not be allowed. We also acknowledge that the right to free speech is indivisible. These tow contradictory statements cannot be reconciled.

"This government therefore plans to set in place laws concerning what is right speech and what is wrong speech. The following subjects shall be considered as wrong speech ... ."

The reactions of the public were predictable. Those on one side of the political divide claimed the new laws were a victory for humanity and common sense; those on the other side railed about how it was censorship and screamed Orwellian slogans. The majority of people just shrugged their shoulders. After all, why would right-thinking people want to discuss these things?

Then the noose of silence began to tighten. Lobbyists and activists demanded that their views be paid attention to and given credence. Ban this! Stop that! How dare anyone even think this? The list of wrong speech grew and grew, while the official conversation became blander and more anodyne. Protests began and grew louder, before falling under the heading of wrong speech and their advocates being silenced.

Eventually, the government took the unconscionable step of issuing a booklet of authorised words and phrases.

"With the increase in violations of the Acceptable Speech laws, we believe that eh public must be given guidance on what is right speech and what is wrong speech. This publication will explain and give examples of right speech. All citizens must abide by these guidelines or be silenced."

On the day that the booklet became law, a million citizens gathered in the nation's capital, determined to show their anger at this final erosion of their ability to speak freely. Just before the time that the law came into force, the leader of the nation met the protestors and addressed them.

"You have brought this upon yourselves. You set this in motion, and we - your representatives and servants - have given you what you asked for. We will of course listen to you, should you have anything to say!"

The great bell at the heart of the city struck the hour, and the crowd fell silent. The leader of the nation nodded and smiled. "I thought as much."

Then, as one, the people raised their fingers to him and laughed.