The Love of Medusa

They say that the sight of my face turns men to stone, but it is not me that is to blame. It is the goddess Athena. It is her curse that transformed me from a beautiful maiden into a monster. It is her curse that turns men to stone.

I did nothing to deserve this affliction. It was because the god Poseidon could not control his lust. He desired my body, but I did not wish to give it to him. So, I sought refuge in Athena's temple. But this did not deter Poseidon. He followed me into the temple, threw me upon the altar and raped me. It was because of this that Athena placed her curse upon me. Not wishing to hurt those around me, I retreated and hid myself away in this cave. But this was not enough. There were still those who came to find me - the curious, the angry and, ultimately, the vengeful. They came to this cave and, in the end, suffered the fate decreed for them.

But, but, but there was one who came to me out of love. The first I knew of this was when they left a small gift on the rocks in front of my cave. It was nothing grand; a small trinket, such as one would buy at a stall in the agora. A trail of footprints was the only sign that someone had been to see me.

More gifts followed. I did not know what to do. I wanted to thank my mysterious benefactor, let them know that their gifts were grateful received; but I did not wish to inflict Athena's curse upon them. So, I hid myself just inside my cave, covered my face with a veil and waited.

That night, the stranger came. I heard them stop outside my cave and place something on the rocks. I called out to them, "Thank you for your gift. But why do you place yourself in such peril?"

A high-pitched voice, like that of a beardless youth, replied. "Because I love you."

A tear rolled down my cheek. "I cannot accept your love. If I was to see your face - or you to see mine - then you would be doomed."

There was a chuckle. "I have heard of your curse, and I am not afraid." I heard footsteps coming closer. "I shall show you. Let me see your face and kiss you."

I flinched away. "No! Do not!" But I was too slow. A pair of hands lifted the veil from my face, and a pair of warm lips touched mine.

They say that the sight of my face turns men to stone. That much is true.