EIGHT

WEEKS HAD GONE BY, AND STILL THE HORDE HAD NOT YET REACHED THE SACRED GROUNDS OF VAES DOTHRAK

WEEKS HAD GONE BY, AND STILL THE HORDE HAD NOT YET REACHED THE SACRED GROUNDS OF VAES DOTHRAK. Alia was beginning to grow tired of all the never ending trekking and began to pity the horses, forced to bear the burden of carrying the Dothraki and their heavy belongings. What's more was that Alia soon realised that they were now too far away from Illyrio's manse to turn back.

The environment that surrounded them was a harsh one; the sun seemed to be fiercer, and the days somewhat longer. They were surrounded by tall, thin trees that looked more like long shoots of grass, but the horses seemed to enjoy them. They were sugary – Alia had discovered that one evening when temptation won her over and she ended up taking a bite out of one of the stalks, copying what she'd seen several others do. Viserys had reprimanded her once he caught her, and Alia had burned with shame. He compared her to the Dothraki savages, and said she was no better than them.

Nevertheless, and despite the beautiful scenery, Alia began to wonder if all the walking would eventually be worth it. Vaes Dothrak was sacred to the Dothraki, and from what she'd overheard in conversation, it was a grand and wonderful place. Alia was left hoping it was all she had been anticipating – she didn't want to have to walk for weeks to find out that Vaes Dothrak was really nothing special.

After days and even weeks of not speaking to Daenerys, Alia was glad to finally be riding beside her, talking as though they hadn't missed a thing. Alia noticed Daenerys was noticeably stronger now, and she didn't seem to be so afraid of Khal Drogo – at least not as afraid as she formerly was. But Daenerys certainly didn't mind giving orders to people around her. Once or twice she had even told Alia what to do, not that she minded. In fact, she was proud. Alia was glad to see Daenerys growing.

Ser Jorah was walking on the other side of Daenerys, with Alia at the other. "Do the Dothraki buy their slaves?" She – Daenerys – asked.

The topic of slavery had reared its ugly head, and Alia had decided to declare herself absent from conversation. By the side of the dirt path they walked, there were slaves walking alongside the Dothraki upon their horses, laden with baskets full of food and bedding. Alia would look at them in pity, occasionally offering to take some of the baskets from them. She would quickly be told to keep on walking, and some of the slaves appeared almost insulted that she'd asked such a thing. It was unfair, and unjust. Alia could feel herself frowning.

"The Dothraki don't believe in money," said Jorah "Most of their slaves were given to them as gifts."

"From whom?"

As Jorah began to educate Daenerys on slavery in Dothraki customs, Alia ushered her horse forward and pushed her way through the crowd. She passed someone who had a slave whipped, simply for not moving fast enough. The sound seemed to go right through her, and Alia felt herself involuntarily shivering; it was a horrific, deafening sound, ringing in the air even after the slave had been struck.