PEAKY BLINDERS

The City of Birmingham was run by several gangs, but the most notorious in Small Heath was the Peaky Blinders. They were ruthless, especially after Elizabeth 'Polly' Grey, née Shelby, was running things while all the lads were off in France. The whole Shelby clan were fearless and feared.

Elsie Partridge was an orphaned ballet dancer in Birmingham. Her life was spent in the theatre and she was not allowed to leave without permission from the owners of the theatre, Daniel and Maggie Kingsley. The poor girl was treated horribly, as were the rest of the dancers. She was the fearful. Meek and timid to the point it was laughable to most.

It was rather funny how Small Heath worked. Protection against the Peaky Blinders cost money. You had to pay them, not to fuck up your life and when you stop paying that protection money, you stopped getting the protection.

Which is exactly was Daniel and Maggie Kingsley did. They stopped paying, and for a few months they were safe. 

Bang.

Then in a matinee performance, someone snuck a gun into the theatre and shot the main dancer in the leg as a warning. A sign that was not to be taken carelessly, just thrown aside and ignored. 

Elsie's career could have been taken away from her. She had no life skills, only being taught how to dance from a young age, so being shot in the leg was something that could have taken her life away. In a way, she wished it did, a chance to get out of the hell she constantly lived in. But her costume got ruined, she was injured and she needed a way to pay the Kingsley for allowing her to stay at the Theatre while she healed.

So, she got a job.