Chapter 3

By the time Dipper had made it down the stairs, he was sure that his heart was going to burst out of his chest. It was pounding so loudly that he was surprised the demon next to him didn't hear it. He took deep breaths, trying to calm down.

"Just relax," he whispered to Bill, trying to pretend that he was alright. "There's nothing to be nervous about..." The blond teen looked at him with an eyebrow raised.

"I'm not nervous," he responded easily, calling out Dipper's bluff. "You, on the other hand, look like you're going to be sick. You sure you want to do this?" The brunette pursed his lips, nodding firmly, though his face was pale. Bill smiled sympathetically, giving his hand a reassuring squeeze.

"I'll be as normal as I can," he promised, giving him a smirk. Dipper rolled his eyes with a small huff of a laugh.

"Just... no heads that are always screaming or whatever," he requested. Bill laughed, but he agreed to the terms, motioning for Dipper to lead the way. His great uncles were at the kitchen table, talking in low voices. He saw Wendy at the counter making coffee, but didn't see Pacifica anywhere. He assumed she must have gone home. It was getting late, after all, and she'd definitely have some explaining to do with her parents. Dipper hesitated right before the kitchen doorway, taking one more deep breath before motioning for Bill to wait and stepping in.

"Gruncle Stan? Gruncle Ford? Wendy?" he began softly. They all turned to look at him, seeming relieved that he had come back downstairs. Wendy set down a cup of coffee for each of the older Pines twins, then grabbed one for herself, leaning against the counter.

"What's up, Dip?" she inquired, her voice still gentle in nature, despite the attempt at a lighter tone. The brunette caught himself wringing his hands and he cleared his throat, forcing his hands to his sides.

"Th-There's someone I'd like you t-to meet..." he managed. "Officially, that is," he added on, rubbing the back of his neck. Right on cue, Bill Cipher stepped into the room. He was smiling ever so slightly, but he kept his expression reserved, not wanting to be too overbearing.

"We have technically met before," he admitted, standing at Dipper's shoulder, "but I looked a tad bit different back then..." There was a painful few seconds of silence as Dipper's family simply stared at the blond before them. Dipper was about to speak, desperate to break the tension, when Stanley huffed, taking a sip of his coffee.

"Yeah, I got the feeling you'd be back..." he grumbled. Dipper's heart sank, but before he could let himself get down, Bill's fingers brushed his ever so slightly, sending warmth up his arm, and he found his heart floating again. "Took you long enough, though," Gruncle Stan added, shooting a pointed look at the dream demon. "What kind of sicko leaves his boyfriend thinking he's dead for a year?"

Dipper's face flooded with heat, his cheeks and ears turning red, but Bill only let out a small laugh, rubbing the back of his neck.

"I thought it would be in his best interest if I stayed away," he explained in an apologetic tone. "Turns out danger finds him with or without my presence."

"So you're dating my great nephew..." Ford rumbled, standing up from the table. Bill's eyes grew wary for a moment, but he didn't back down.

"That's right," he verified. The author of the journals approached him, hands behind his back. He looked the demon up and down, a skeptical yet quizzical look on his face.

"A human form..." he muttered under his breath. "Curious..." Just as Bill was about to comment, Stanford jabbed him in the chest with his pointer finger, an icy look in his eyes. "Cipher, if you hurt my nephew, I'll give you a death you won't return from. Don't think I won't be keeping my eyes on you," he threatened. Bill smirked, resting his weight on one foot.