Like A Skyscraper

You can take everything I have,

You can break everything I am.

Like I’m made of glass,

Like I’m made of paper.

Go on and try to tear me down,

I will be rising from the ground,

Like a skyscraper.

~~ Skyscraper

                Demi Lovato

Alex

The car sped out of sight as I stood on the pavement, looking at the big, daunting building in front of me.

Now or never, I thought to myself as I grasped the handles of my suitcases and pulled them with me up to the entrance. I walked through the door to be greeted by the god damn awful hospital smell, I wrinkled my nose and walked over to the grey haired lady sitting behind what I presumed was the reception desk. She gave me an expectant look over the tops of thin, wire, glasses. I just stood there, what the fuck was I supposed to say? “Oh Hi! Hey, I sing in a band and one of our fans sent me a suicide note, mentioning this place so I flew half way across the world to see if she’s ok, but I’ve never met her before, don’t get freaked out. I’m not a paedophile.” I had a feeling that that wouldn’t go down very well...

“Uh hi. I’m here to see if someone has been admitted by the name of Charlotte? She’s about 19..” I trailed off, realising how stupid I sounded.

“As a matter of fact young man, a young girl was admitted last night. Who believe is named Charlotte, from the things we found around the place the ambulance got called to. May I ask your relation to the girl?” She asked, giving me the once over, clearly thinking I was a total dick.

“Uh, friend. Yeah, friend, I heard about it and flew over from the states straight away.” I said, trying to sound confident in my story.

 She eyed me for a few seconds before nodding and saying “Down the hall, to the left, room 128.” I nodded my thanks and walked down the hall, desperate to see her. I quickly stopped myself from getting carried away.  I didn’t even know if she was the girl who sent us the letter, it could just be a coincidence. For fuck sake. Why did this have to be complicated? What was I going to do if it wasn’t Charlotte, my Charlotte? Woah. Wait. My Charlotte? When did she become mine? I haven’t even met the girl, she could be dead for all I know. I reached the door but didn’t go in.

What the fuck do I do? Do I knock? What if she’s asleep? What if it’s not the right girl? I stood, pacing outside her room, for what felt like a year. I decided, I would knock, ask outright if it was her, if it wasn’t I’d apologise and leave,  if it was, I’d ask if I can come in, if she said yes then I would..Well, that was as far as I’ve got. Whatever, this can only be good though, right?

I knocked gently on the door, to get no response. I knocked again, a little louder, incase she didn’t hear me. Again no answer. I paused for a moment before I gently opened the door a crack, just enough to see inside.

From what little I could see, a petite , brunette was lying there, her chest , rising and falling shallowly , at a slow pace. I creaked the door open to see her a bit clearer as I edged in, She had soft bangs falling across her forehead, and pale skin. Deathly pale. Her soft pink lips were in a sort of natural pout, her long eyelashes resting against her cheeks as , she sat, unmoving. Her arms were down by her side, resting limply. Her fingers, straight. I was about to walk over and grasp one of her small hands in my large hands when a nurse walked in, clearly confused as to why someone was in here.

“I..uh..the lady..let me in..at the front.” I stuttered out, trying to regain composure. She nodded and bustled about, fiddling with the machines I only just noticed were wired up to Charlotte.

“...What happened to her?” I asked timidly, although I already knew.

“ Suicide attempt,” she stated, matter-of-factly, as if it meant nothing. “ Overdose, we pumped her stomach,” she continued, just reeling off the information, showing no emotion at all. How could something like this not affect her? A poor, innocent girl had tried to take her own life, why didn’t that bother her? “She’s currently in a coma,  but we expect her to wake up soon, we found her pretty quickly.” Again, with the emotion-less voice. Seriously, what the fuck?

She was about to walk out of the room when I asked “How did you find her..?” As much as I didn’t want to hear her voice anymore, I wanted to know this.

“A man found her, he was walking home from work when he heard a thump, he walked in to what was apparently a mess of a flat and found her, empty pill packets on the desk and a smashed bottle of Vodka on the floor next to her.” Yet again with the no  emotion, I swear I was going to slap her if she didn’t turn around and walk out of this room right now. I settled for just sending her evils and she soon got the idea and stalked out, shutting the door roughly behind her. Bitch.

I made sure my cases were inside the room before dragging a chair up to Charlotte’s bed and holding her hand. I hoped she could do this. The bitchnurse said she should wake up soon, but what if she didn’t? I can’t lose someone else. It was weird how close I already was to her, without even meeting her.  I wanted to talk to her, get to know her, take care of her, try and make her happy again. I don’t even know anymore. How could she mean so much to me? I’d never even said a word to her, and vice versa.  Confused is not even the word.

  I sat there for God knows how long just staring at her perfect and occasionally squeezing her hand. When my phone rang.  I answered and left the room , gently closing the door behind me.

“Hey.” I heard Flyzik say.

“Hi.” I answered back quickly.

“So what’s going on?” He asked me.

“Well, I’m in the hospital now, and I think I’ve found her, she’s alive, Matt, well I think it’s her but I don’t care, she’s alive. And now I can help her, and talk to her and try to...fix her.” I said the last bit awkwardly as I heard him sigh.

“Whatever, you think is best Alex.” He said gently as I heard someone call his name.

“Oh, sorry, I have to go, text Jack when you can, he’s dying to hear from you. Good luck Lex.” He said before he hung up. As I was entering the room, I heard a faint “Alex?” I looked down to see her eyes open, revealing huge light brown orbs staring at me. All thoughts of contacting Jack flew from my mind as I stared down at the beautiful, yet broken, young girl in front of me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- So, I'm sorry for the wait and shortness, I had things on and I needed to try and convey a lot of feelings in this, so yeah. Feedback is appreciated...infact, it's encouraged :-) I hope you like it xx