chapter 2

After that first night of taking Juliette around the compound, I have eaten dinner with her, shown her parts of the wing, explaining part of the roll of the government. We don’t keep conversation going the whole time, leaving plenty of time for me to think about how I feel when I am around her and how she feels when she’s around me. I keep my emotions from showing to others, but I cannot deny the light she shines in my dark world. She is infatuating. I realized that she has so much more to her than meets the eye. At first glance there is only her power when she touches people, but there is so much more to her. It was this thought that pushed me to do a virtual experiment with Juliette and a fake child. She used all of her anger, all of her fear, to push through an entire cement wall. I have never seen anything as powerful as that before. But of course, she is just a person, frail and afraid. She was very distraught after the revelation of this new gift. She took a lot of her anger out at me, but she is over it now. My days are consumed with thoughts of her. I see her every opportunity I get. I am about to order an alarm to test what my soldiers will do. I wonder whether Kent will be quick enough on his feet to know to stay with Juliette instead of going with the rest of the soldiers. I order the drill and begin to make my way to Juliette’s room. I walk at an even pace though the alarm is shaking through the walls. I see my soldiers do what they were trained to do as they hustle in synchronization down the stairs. I go down the hall into Juliette’s room, wondering if she will be afraid at the alarm. I’m betting she will just be curious as to what it means. I walk in the room and sweep my eyes across the room out of habit. I look at Kent, flustered, just now making his way out of the room. “I’m pretty sure that alarm has been going off for at least a minute soldier.” I say, actually impressed he seemed to be guarding her.

“Yes sir. I wasn’t sure what to do about her.” He replied, but I wasn’t paying attention to Kent as much as I was watching Juliette. She felt very nervous though she seemed to be getting more and more calm. I look back at Kent, “lucky for you, I’m here to take care of that. You may report to your commanding officer.”

“Sir.” And then he exits.

I look over Juliette in more detail. Her perfect curves are distracting, but I can’t help but notice a small shape portruding in her tight dress and a slight rip up the side of the fabric on her leg. Her hair is ruffled and her dress is ever so slightly off-center. “You took a nap?”

“I couldn’t sleep last night.” She has never been a good liar, but I am impressed at her evading the question. I walk towards her, keeping eye contact. “You’ve ripped your dress.” I am not blind, I see her emotions before me. Sometimes I feel I understand her emotions more than she does herself.

“What are you doing here?”

“If you don’t like that dress, you can always choose a different one, you know. I picked them out myself.” Though I never could have known how beautifully she looks in them.

“That’s okay, the dress is fine.” Evasive as ever, I don’t understand why she won’t tell me how the dress ripped.

“Why won’t you tell me what’s going on?” I take one step closer, leaving only inches between us.

She inhales a little too sharply and she looks up at me with those beautiful eyes. I tear my grip away and look at her body, “You should really change.” She is so beautiful and all I want to do is rip the dress all the way up her body.

“I don’t want to change.”

Well she will have to have it her way. I hook a finger in the rip of her dress, without touching her skin. I wonder if she can hear my heartbeat from this distance. “This just won’t do.” I say, giving the dress a quick, strong tug ripping it a few more inches up the side of her leg. “That’s a bit better.”

“What are you doing--”

I let my gaze linger on the rip for a second before raising my gaze to her eyes. Without breaking eye contact, I drag my hands up her waist and hold her arms in place. I feel her pulse beating fast through the gloves I’m wearing.

“I have a question.” She squirms a little, but I won’t let her go, not while she is this close. I move even closer to her, crushing the space between us. She breathes in a ragged breath.

“I said I have a question, Juliette.”

She doesn’t seem to be focusing on what I’m saying so I just reach into her pocket myself and grab the object I saw through her dress and pull it out. It’s a notebook. She stops breathing.

I cock my head , returning my gaze to her eyes, locked on the notebook. “I don’t recall giving you a notebook. I certainly don’t remember granting you allowance for any possessions, either.”

“I brought it with me.” I can tell when anyone is lying, Juliette is no exception to this.

“Now you’re lying.”

“What do you want from me?” I think of the rip in her dress.

“That’s a stupid question, Juliette.”

I hear the door open and the unmistakable click of a gun behind me. I’m surprised to hear Kent’s voice, “Get your hands off her before I put a bullet through your head.”