Chapter 3

Juliette looks as shocked as me. I slowly close my eyes and painfully take my hands off of Juliette. I turn towards Kent and can’t stop a grin from coming to my face. Who knew the emotionless robot would be the one to hold a gun to my head?

“Kent.”

He steps behind me and roughly pushes the barrel of the gun to the back of my skull. “You’re going to clear our exit out of here.” It’s strange how little emotion he shows, even at a time like this. I cannot help but laugh at Kent’s stupidity. I don’t know how he plans to escape, if he even did as much as plan. I close my eyes and let my laugh turn into a smile. I quickly pull out my own gun and point it at Juliette. “I will kill her right now.” I am a very good liar, but I doubt anyone could believe I would ever shoot her.

“You’re not stupid.” I can’t help but think how stupid Kent is in this very moment.

“If she moves even a millimeter, I will shoot her. And then I will rip you to pieces.”

Kent quickly lifts his gun, but before the blow comes, I shift the gun to the side of Juliette to avoid anything happening. As the butt of the gun hits me in the head, my own gun fires, clear of Juliette. Kent twists my arm behind my back, as I trained him and the grip on my gun releases into Juliette’s hand. I almost smile before she slams the butt of the gun into my face. I blink and I am looking straight into the barrel of my own weapon held by the woman who has my heart.

She speaks strong and proud, but I can tell she is a little afraid and confused, “Don’t underestimate me.”

I grin, proud and almost laugh until I choke on my own blood. I wipe the blood from my nose and mouth, thinking how ridiculous I must look, and I grin, proud to see this side of Juliette.

“I never underestimate you, never have.” Adam rolls his eyes and beams at Juliette seemingly proud of her as well. I wonder what exactly they have planned and how he thinks he is going to escape without touching her. I wonder where he would take her, but I know it can’t be too hard to figure out. Kent presses the gun harder into my skull. “Let’s get out of here.”

She picks up two packed bags and tosses them to Kent. I don’t know how he thinks he is getting out of here but there is not a chance I would help him escape with my Juliette. “I can assure you soldier, your triumph will be short lived. You may as well kill me now, because when I find you, I will thoroughly enjoy destroying every bone in your body. You’re a fool if you think you can get away with this.”

“I am not your soldier. I never have been. You’ve been so caught up in the details of your own fantasies you failed to notice the dangers right in front of your face”

Juliette falls right into pace with him, “We can’t kill you yet, you have to get us out of here.”

“You’re making a huge mistake, Juliette; you’re throwing away an entire future. How do you know you can trust him?” I say, hearing the emotion in my voice.

She looks away from me. “Let’s go before it’s too late, he’s just trying to stall before the soldiers get back.” She never fails to be evasive. I explode, “He doesn’t even care about you! He just wants a way out of here and he’s using you! I could love you, Juliette—I would treat you like a queen—”

Kent interferes, “You obviously don’t understand what’s happening here.”

I wheeze out my response, trying to keep my voice under control, “Then educate me, soldier, tell me what I’m failing to understand.”

“Adam” The way she says his name feels like a stab to my heart. What I wouldn’t give to hear her say my name like that.

“Make the call” Kent orders, addressing me. He grabs my neck and squeezes hard.