Prologue

T H E | U N I V E R S E

The rain pelted on the window panes as Jerald Black, leader of Death Scar made his way through the hallway. The stench of rotten flesh and blood almost made him empty out the contents of his stomach.

He stopped in front a room.

Kicking down the door, he searched the room and-

A young girl, no older than ten was curled up into a ball while sitting in the corner of the room.

However cold Jerald's heart was, it couldn't help but soften at the sight of the poor child. He carefully approached her; and halted when he heard her whimper.

"... Please... please don't hurt me." The girl pleaded softly, so quiet that Jerald almost didn't hear her voice over the howl of the wind. He wanted to vomit at the sight of the scars and bruises on her arms.

He bent down to her height. "Hey, you don't have to be scared of me... I'm not going to hurt you." He extended his hand to her, causing her to flinch. He swallowed and retracted his arm.

She looked up to meet his eyes, and wiped away her tears with the back of her hand.

"Really?" She asked in such small voice.

Jerald's heart clenched. No, he did not regret cutting down those men earlier. Not one bit.

"Really." Jerald confirmed as he offered her a small smile, "What's your name, little one?"

She remained silent for a moment, "... I don't want it anymore."

"Why is that so?"

"Because the people who gave it to me.  They were... They were mean." A thick silence hung in the air. Jerald chose not to question any further.

"Choose one yourself then." She seemed to ponder about it. Her eyebrows scrunched together adorably.

After a while, she mumbled absent mindedly, "Seventeen people used to be in this room."

"Where are they now?" Perhaps he could save them too, he could-

"They took one out every month and she never came back." The girl said rocking back and forth quietly.

Jerald stayed quiet. Too late, he was too late.

The girl looked at him, "I can choose any name I want?"

"It's your choice."

"Seventeen. I want my name to be Seventeen."