Chapter Twenty-three

“Five days?!”  I choked, nearly spitting the lumpy applesauce that Jay was trying to feed me. I was too weak to move my arms well.

Jay nodded solemnly, still holding onto my other hand. As soon as I had woken up that morning in the hospital, Jay had run for my doctor. After that, he hadn’t left my side for the last hour. I wasn’t sure why he was still clutching my hand as if I’d disappear, but I definitely wasn’t complaining.

“Honestly, the doctor was a little worried. I didn’t want to wait months for you to wake up so I’m glad you’re awake now. Five days is nothin’,” Jay said with a small smile.

I carefully swallowed before talking again. “So… Are you going to tell me anything interesting that happened or has everyone just been waiting for me to wake up? I mean, I get that I’m amazing,” I grinned and flipped imaginary hair. “But you all didn’t have to wait up.”

“I know you are,” Jay smiled, staring at our hands as he traced patterns on my palm. “But, it has been a busy few days. I just don’t want to dump it all on you before you even get to see your dad.”

My smile dropped. “My dad?” I sucked in and tried to reel in the anxiety that dripped from my tone. “He’s, uh, coming?”

“Of course,” Jay frowned. “Why wouldn’t he?”

“He hates hospitals,” I mumbled. “More than he loves me.” I added under my breath.

Unfortunately, Jay caught my words and his eyes hardened. “Do you honestly think that, Kelly? That he doesn’t love you enough to come here?”

“My mom died after months of being in a hospital,” I whispered softly. “He never returned for anything, not my surgery to get my tonsils out, not when I was twelve and broke my wrist, nothing.”

“Were those life or death situations?”

“No, but still. Why would this be different?”

Jay reached out and drew my other hand to him as well, tangling our hands together. “It’s different because you did almost die, Kel. This wasn’t just any little scrape or bruise.” He stated firmly. “He’s coming.” He added softly when my eyes dropped to my lap.

“When?” My voice came out weak and vulnerable, much to my despair.

Before he could respond, there was a knock on the door and it swung open to allow a figure to storm in. It took me a minute to register that the man with bloodshot eyes, messy hair, and a haphazardly thrown on college Alumni sweatshirt and jeans was actually my own father. In all my eighteen years, I’d never seen my father look so unprofessional. Even after my mom’s death, he hid his emotions in his work, never letting me or anyone else in.

“Kelly,” My dad’s voice cracked and my vision blurred with fresh tears. Jay’s warm grasp slipped away and was quickly replaced by my father’s.

“Dad,” I whispered while staring at his face, one so similar to mine, in shock.

“Don’t ever scare me like that again, young lady,” my dad’s stern tone trembled as he glared at me. I internally laughed at how even when he had days’ worth of stumble across his jaw, he still had businesslike demands.

I attempted to crack a smile. “Of course, dad. I’m so sorry.” My lip trembled and my usual professional mask threatened to slip more.

“Oh, sweetheart, don’t cry,” My dad’s face softened immediately, calling me the pet names I hadn’t heard in at least a decade. “It wasn’t your fault. I’m just so glad you woke up.”