A Royal Celebration

"I love her," Bernie cooed, arms outstretched over her head with eyes closed as the summer night's breeze washed over her face

"I love her," Bernie cooed, arms outstretched over her head with eyes closed as the summer night's breeze washed over her face. "I love her, I love her, I love her."

"You alright, Bern?" Eddie laughed, slinging an arm around his sister. He positively towered over Bernie, her head coming to rest right in the pit of his arm. If she were sober, Bernie would have protested the protective way Eddie held her, claiming that, as the older sister, she should be the protective one. But she hadn't seen her brother since Christmas, and the fancy cocktails in their private suite at the arena contained more alcohol than the taste let on.

"I just bloody love her. You lot want to talk about queens, well we've just witnessed one!"

"And we're all witnessing a blithering, drunk one right now," Lou, Eddie's fraternal twin, teased with a pinch of Bernie's cheeks. Everyone laughed. Again, if she were sober, Bernie would have chastised her sister for mentioning the one topic—her future role as the Queen of England—that was certain to send her spiraling into a nervous breakdown. But she was surrounded by the people she loved most—minus her mother who had to fly back to England immediately after the commencement ceremony—and had just enjoyed the show of a lifetime.

Courtesy of her grandfather, King James, Bernie, her younger twin siblings, and her three closest friends from university were treated to a posh suite with all the trimmings to experience Beyonce in her full glory. Bernie was sure her ears would be ringing for days with the literal voice of an angel. She felt as though she could actually float as she walked with the group toward the car that would take them to the exclusive after-party. Of course Grandfather didn't have the connections to get them into the party, nor would he approve of such debauchery, but halfway through the concert, Queen Bey's security talked to Princess B's security and extended a personal invite.

Bernie was beside herself when Jane, her personal bodyguard and Head of Security, asked if she'd like to attend the afterparty. Like to attend as if anyone ever turned down an invitation from the Queen herself. Like to attend as if Bernie hadn't already been quietly devising a plan with her best friend, Ronan, and Eddie to sneak into the party.

"Jest all you want, but I'm hardly drunk," Bernie said as she shrugged out of Eddie's hold and made to return the pinch to her sister's cheek. Lou being naturally taller than Bernie—and almost as tall as Eddie in heels—Bernie had to balance on her tiptoes to get a handful of Lou's cheek. As she wobbled on her toes, Lou graciously lent down and presented her face to her older sister, suffering the loving pinch.

"Right," Ronan laughed. "And I'm the King of England."

"Oh, Grandfather, how you've changed," Eddie said, deepening his voice and grabbing Ronan by the lapels as if he were going to kiss him. Everyone was all laughs as Jane opened the doors to the blacked out Suburban. Ronan was the first to dive headfirst into the car, causing Eddie to tut and shake his head. "Looks like the King needs a lesson in manners. Ladies first."