Chapter 9

You laughed happily as Toby proceeded to drag you off towards the other side of the Market. You had to hold your dress up just to keep the ends off the ground so you didn't trip over the hem.

     "I've never seen you so excited to get Toffee's, Toby." you giggled at the small boy as you kept up with him only slightly winded from his sprinting. You ignored the looks of disapproval from the other women you had both passed by, Ladies didn't engage in such as activities such as prancing about, let alone in a dress. But, you couldn't bring yourself to care as you galloped through the streets with the little boy you had come to love as true as your hearts constant beating.

     "The last time I got Toffee's, you and me were working with Mrs.Lovett. But, now I get to get them, just for you and me!" He said as he slowed to a walking pace as we neared the cart, a jubilant smile on his sweet face.

     He then added "I missed you, mum. I just wanted me and you, today."

     You both slowed to a stop, the faint winter breeze settling around the Market. Toby had never said anything about being around Mrs.Lovett or Mr.Todd, he's hardly ever expressed how much they mean to him or if he likes them at all. You were starting to feel as if he wasn't as fond of them as you had thought.

     His expression suddenly turned a little glum after he said that as he stopped in front of you, his head turned down as if he done something bad. Your eye's widen considerably at his statement before you place your hand's on his shoulders, you bent your knee's until they both hit the cement below. You put your forefinger under his chin for him to look up at you, his bottom lip quivering and his eye's red and puffing.

     You embraced him quickly making him let out a small noise in surprise, it was almost like a yelp as if he was expecting something entirely different. You grip on him tightened as your hands took a small handful of his coat in anger, you couldn't imagine what Pirelli had done to him, to make him react like that. As if you wouldn't do anything else but, hit him.

     "Your my boy, Toby." You whispered as you pulled away to look at him, your hands still firmly locked onto his shoulders. He had silent tears running down his face as he fought the urge to sob his heart out.

     "And we can prance around as much as you want. I don't care who's around." You began as you shook him teasingly as your hands cupped his cheeks, he let out a watery laugh before a hiccup left his lips "You just say the word and Toffee's are yours for the taking."

    He let a relieved, goofy grin burst from his lips before he let out a tiny sob and wrapped his arm's around your neck burying his head into the crevice of your neck. You closed your eye's holding him tight before you opened them as he spoke once more, his words shaky from his tears.

    "And you?"

    You chuckled to yourself as you let him hug you tighter "And me." You answered.

     You both laughed in glee as you both bit into a sweet Toffee, the flavor as amazing and foreign as always. You still couldn't get over how tasty it was, it's melted in your mouth and it's like you nor Toby could never get enough of it.

     Toby bit down on the small candy once more with a satisfied moan as he had your hand in his, swinging your entwined limbs happily as you both walked around the streets of London.

     "How many are you gonna eat in one day?" You asked him with a chuckle as Toby stuffed his third Toffee into his mouth, a smile came to his chocolate coated lips.

    "I just can't help it. The chocolate is sooo good." he groaned out as he chewed relentlessly.

   You tilted your head back as a hearty laughter came from your pink lips, you held your stomach with your other hand. Many people took notice, some marveling on how anyone could be so happy at desperate times such as these. Some stared in envy, wishing they could be as carefree with their own child. Others turned their own children away, just so they wouldn't have ro answer as to why they never acted like that with their own children. The rest just ignored or huffed at the audacity you had.