A Whole New World (CSI fanfiction)

I own nothing of CSI. R&R please! :D

One Month:

One month. That’s all it took. One month for my life to change.

My name is Rachel, I’m Irish but my home now resides in Las Vegas.

Ireland will always have a place in my heart, I will visit but since I arrived in Vegas, I’ve never looked back.

It had too many bad memories to stay there. The darkest days of my life rest there.

I was in a three year relationship, if you could call it that. We hurt each other in every way possible.

We fought, cheated, stole, but we were both too weak to walk away, until my mother put her foot down and got me out of that hell hole, I started concentrating in college and realised I was actually quite intelligent, but I still wasn’t happy.

So I left. Packed my bags and got out of there, getting my dream job in the process.

And now, one month on, I couldn’t be happier.

“Babe, you really need to calm down, listen to some music it helps me,” Greg Sanders reasoned as I darted around my reasonably sized apartment adjusting small details.

I looked up in time to see Greg fiddling with the radio in the kitchen.

“Put on any of your screamo rock music and I will have to kill you,” I warned, fluffing a cushion for the third time.

I knew by instinct that Greg had rolled his eyes before turning to my usual station, letting Maroon 5 drift out of the speakers.

“I don’t know how you listen to this, I mean Mick Jagger couldn’t even dance!” Greg complained.

I rounded the corner wall to see him searching the fridge.

“Sure you have enough bread?” He chuckled as he held up two loafs of bread, two of the many I had bought the day before.

“My family are big on sandwiches, okay,” I laughed sounding slightly defensive.

“So what time are your parents arriving?” Greg asked, pulling a slice of bread from the packet and pulling out the toaster.

“Four,” I mumbled as I did a last sweep of the apartment making sure it was spotless.

 My mum was a complete clean freak, something I’d inherited. My parents were happy for me when I left Ireland, they knew it’s what I needed but I still felt the insesent need to prove to them I was happy here while they were over.

They were visiting for two weeks and I couldn’t wait to see them, it was also Greg’s first time meeting them.

Greg and I have been dating for two weeks now, not a very long time but we clicked the minute I started working with the Las Vegas Crime Lab.

We worked my first case together and I felt like I’d known him years.

“Are you nervous?” I asked him suddenly.

I watched as he shrugged awkwardly, concentrating on pouring his favourite Blue Hawaiian coffee into a mug.

“A little, I’m just worried I’ll talk too much or say the wrong thing y’know,”

“You’re seriously worried about talking too much, babe, you never stop!” I teased. “But it’s okay cause it’s one of your more endearing qualities,” I told him truthfully.

“Was that a compliment?” Greg feigned shock as he stared at me, widening his dark eyes.

I chuckled and walked towards him circling his waist with my arms and laying my head down on his chest.

“Yeah I don’t know if I’ve ever told you this but I kind of like you,” I murmered jokingly into his black leather jacket.

“You’re not too bad yourself,” He murmered into my hair, placing a kiss on my forehead. “My little leprechaun,”

“You did not just call me that,” I cringed as he laughed.

Greg finished his toast and coffee and headed back to his place to sleep for a few hours until his shift started again.

Grissom, my supervisor, had allowed me yesterday, today and tomorrow off to make sure I was fresh for my parents arrival.

As I sunk into my couch and flicked through my TV channels I felt my eyes getting heavy, my work routine still hadn’t worn off.

I had butterflies in my stomach, me and my mum were very close and my dad always made me laugh so I’d missed them a lot, moving so far away.

I couldn’t wait to see them. They were staying for two weeks and I was looking forward to introducing them to everyone at the lab.

As far as I was concerned everyone at the lab was a part of my new little make-shift family here in Vegas.

Even Hodges.