Chapter 4 - third person POV

It had been three weeks since the crash. Mary was back at the Abbey with her son, George. But she wasn't herself. She, along with everyone around her, was deeply affected by Matthew's state. Isobel spent most of her time at the hospital by his side, and the rest of the family came to visit regularly. Except Mary. She couldn't stand to see him like that, not again. She had powered through during the war, but this was different. Even though she knew better, there was something inside of her telling her it was her fault. She had rushed Matthew, made him hurry to get back. If he hadn't been going so fast, he could have breaked in time and he wouldn't be laying in the hospital, unconscious. Mary couldn't bear looking at her son, either. If it hadn't been for him, Matthew wouldn't have had any news to bring home. It was thoughts like these that rendered her silent when confronted with the realities of the crash.

Mary was sitting at her vanity, staring of into space, when Anna knocked on the door.

"Come in" Mary said, uninterested.
"Sorry to interrupt, M'lady, but his Lordship would like you to meet him in the library."
Mary sighed.
"Alright."
She stood up and left the room, leaving Anna standing there.

"What do you want, Papa?" Mary asked, as she stepped in the room.
"Good morning, Mary," Lord Grantham said, "I wanted to talk to you about Matthew."

"Not this again" Mary sighed once more, "I can't go see him."
"But Mary, he's your husband. Don't you want to go?"
"I can't Papa, you don't understand! It's more complicated than that!"
And with that, Mary left the room again.