Chapter 2- I Don't Get Payed Enough

I take one step into the main facility, a metal interior stretches over a large common room with a cement floor making it feel colder inside the space than any other area on site, a desk lay in the corner where the receptionist usually sits,  every single movement echoes through the centre, but the inspirational posters hung up every few meters and the slightly browning pot plants that call the facility home, gives it a slightly homely feel, like they are actually trying to make this place more friendly for staff and visitors; though we rarely get visitors.

I stand at the doorway for a few moments admiring the atmosphere, I hear the muffled fast clicking of six inch heals on the cement floors, a door burst open a few meters in front of me, a familiar face greets me from the door to the hall, "Frank, you didn't evacuate?" My boss Grace announces with a confused panic. "Why do you seem so shocked? I haven't had a sick day off in over five years." Grace looks at me for an uncomfortably long time, she sighs "fine, I really didn't want to do this but since you are the only one here and everybody from Project Axel has evacuated-" I cut her off before she can finish her sentence "Project Axel is just a silly little joke Andrew made up to scare people around the office, please for the love of god, tell me this mass evacuation isn't because of one Neanderthal's prank."
"Project Axel is real, I know because I have been working with the government to hide The operation in the abandoned building in the east quadrant, you can't tell a soul that you know about this information, but at this point in time, you could be the only one that could save the project."
"Will I get fired if i don't?"
"No, but I'll give you a pay rise and give you an office job, so you never have to clean the equipment again,"
"Fine... I'll do it."
She puts her hand out for a hand shake, almost like she thinks it's a legally binding contract, I reluctantly raise my hand and shake hers, she nods as if to say 'it's a deal.'
"So I'm guessing we have to go to the building?" I say as I begin to nervously sweat, I try not to show it much in my behaviour or attitude but I'm horribly afraid of abandoned buildings; especially the east quadrant building.

The east quadrant building is a crumbling cement structure with cracked tiles, holes in the ground, creaking steal doors and the only light is through hundreds of small tears in the roof, where the light streams through like golden beams, the evergreen coloured moss growing outside is some of the only flora that could possibly live in this nuclear wasteland of dirt roads and stones, and that's just what your eyes see; the feeling of entering that death trap is akin to being inside an iron maiden

We travel to the East quadrant