1 2

"she's your GIRLFRIEND?" lucas questioned, his tone louder as he said each word but not too loud for people in the back of the classroom to hear.

mike had covered his mouth before he could get too loud and placed a finger on his lips. "yes. i asked her before we came to class."

"so that's why you guys took so long? and held hands until you walked into class," dustin whispered, wiggling his eyebrows while nudging lucas.

"and she said yes?" will questioned in surprise, all four boys turning their attention towards the blonde in the back of the room, talking to a few other girls and laughing.

mike adored her smile, he heard her faint laughter over the loud chatter filling the room. the boys glanced back to each other.

"dude! you better not blow your chance, she's definitely a keeper." lucas leaned in closer and murmured to them, "plus she has a power!"

mike sighed, sitting back and tapping the edge of his chair with his fingertips, they made a light thud each time. "yeah, i never figured out what it was."

"i think it's chlorokinesis. uh- plant manipulation. i saw vines grow on her hands when she picked up steve's bat back at the byers' house," dustin informed the group.

"what if she has more? what if el has more?" lucas shifted both in his seat and his eyes towards each of his best friends, lifting an eyebrow in genuine curiosity.

mike looked at the dark-skinned boy, in his mind- it might be possible, but in mike's mind? not so much. he shook his head. "impossible," he blurted, "el only had one. she would know if she has more. she's smart."

"okay, eleven didn't even know what friend meant, mike. i don't think brenner knew if she had any more powers."

"wait a minute." will caught their attention, thinking off for a moment. "if she was a test subject, too- how is she more educated and well-aware then el is?"

"maybe she escaped.." mike mumbled, now thinking of the situation she was probably put in. "maybe she had a chance and ran? or they gave up on her. maybe they didn't know too much about her." mike dragged his eyes in sadness to the back of the classroom, biting his inner cheek.

"i didn't think of that," will whispered.

their attentions once again went to violet, watching her nod, laugh and socialize normally. she had a chance at life. eleven didn't quite grow up that way.

--

"hey! violet," mike called. violet spun around to her boyfriend's voice and lifted her eyebrows. "i have a question."

"what is it?" she asked.

mike reached for her hand, pulling her outside to the bike stands. "i can't ask you here. it's too.. out there. we'll talk at my house," he finished. violet nodded, slightly confused.

she hopped onto the back of mike's bike anyway and they stepped off. the arrived shortly at the two story house, mike dropping his bike in the grass.

he brought violet inside from the basement, holding her hands and sitting her on the couch. violet would be lying if she said this didn't worry her at all.

"okay, so, this question.. it's sort of- really personal," he swallowed, looking down.

"it's okay. i'll tell you unless it will make me very uncomfortable." she smiled at him, putting her hands in his. "you are my boyfriend after all. you deserve to know things."

mike felt a little hot, now knowing he was with the girl of his dreams. "okay, it's about.. your powers. and the lab."

violet's face no longer had a smile, but yet, it wasn't exactly blank either. it was more, realization.

"yeah, uh, please don't be upset." mike held his hands up in surrender, worry all over his face. "i'm just curious."

"are you planning on telling the boys?" she tilted her head slightly, folding her arms. she practically read his mind, he didn't need to speak. "mike, seriously? i don't get it. what are you four going to do with that information?"

mike's mouth dropped open as if to speak, but only closed seconds later. he didn't really know why.

"mike," she groaned, speaking up to catch his attention.

"we just talked about it, during class? we were curious on certain things." mike shoved his face in his hands. he should've listened to lucas. "shit, i'm sorry," he mumbled, his words muffled, "i'm blowing my chance with you."

violet's expression softened, she pulled his hands apart, placing one of hers on his cheek and smiling softly. "hey, you're not blowing your chance just because you want to talk about something from the past. you really want to know everything?"

mike nodded.

"okay, but you aren't allowed to tell anyone but the boys. especially adults."

mike nodded once again. like eleven once said.

she sat back in the sofa, placing her hands in her lap while her eyes went to the floor. "my mom said that when i was younger, when i was born, i was brought to the lab by my dad. he basically stole me from her, saying i was crazy and that i wasn't human," she began explaining, looking over between mike and the floor.

mike comfortably shifted himself to get closer to her, interlocking their fingers as he held her hand tightly, nodding for her to go on. that he was there beside her.

"he was going to keep me there. in which he did until i was around five, i believe and then i escaped. my mother was waiting that one day i'd be able to come home. that she'd get her daughter back. we were both so happy."

violet swallowed, leaning her head onto mike's shoulder. "she started teaching me everything i needed to know in life. i was homeschooled, lockdown until my mom knew it was safe. it only took me a few years, i also learned about my powers. but i never actually told my mom they were real."

she smiled sadly and then looked up at mike and giggled, "and yes, i know i was laying on your shoulder, mike." she continued playing with his hand. "my dad gave up on me anyway. i think. they thought i was useless. then my life began in hawkins, being the new kid. being with you guys. it's been amazing here. and i thank you the most, mike."

mike looked into her eyes, there was something truly familiar about them. they were beautiful, too. they showed more emotion than ever. "violet.."

she leaned into him and hugged him, digging her face into his shoulder and sniffling. he pulled away. "don't cry," he whispered, wiping a tear away with his thumb. he leaned into her, pressing their lips together for a slow kiss.

"i love you, violet."

"i love you too.. mike. and i always have."